Couchbase Connect 2015 is here! and we’re super excited to announce the release of Couchbase Server 4.0 Beta!
This is the beta version of the largest and most significant release in the history of Couchbase. We have two of the most highly awaited release defining features – N1QL (SQL for JSON) and Multi-Dimensional Scaling. The 4.0 beta also delivers powerful global secondary indexes, our next generation storage engine ForestDB, and key security features.
|Download Couchbase Server 4.0 Beta!|
Let’s look at a brief overview of the Couchbase Server 4.0 beta release:
N1QL (SQL for JSON)
N1QL is the powerful new query language from Couchbase for querying rich data at scale. It combines the Power of SQL with the Flexibility of JSON.
N1QL is powerful because it is expressive, declarative and integrates with the enterprise SQL ecosystem. N1QL presents easy and familiar abstractions to quickly develop scalable applications that work with next generation database systems. It allows for filter expressions, aggregate expressions, JOINs and many other features to build a rich application.
We strongly encourage you to try out N1QL and we guarantee you’ll love it! To learn more about N1QL, visit: https://www.couchbase.com/blog/introducing-n1ql-sql-gene-in-nosql
Global Secondary Indexing (GSI)
In addition to the existing MapReduce-based indexes known as views, Couchbase Server provides a global secondary index (GSI). With GSI, you can access your documents faster by using secondary index fields without the overhead of MapReduce.
GSI provides fast access for N1QL queries. With the support of GSI, you can submit queries that target specific lookups on secondary fields. For example, you can look up customers by email address rather than relying on a customer key.
GSI provides the following benefits:
- Improves index efficiency by avoiding gather-scatter and index working set management
- Improves application scalability by allowing indexes to partition and scale independently
Couchbase has redefined the way enterprises scale distributed databases with the option of multi-dimensional scaling. It not only separates and isolates but also scales services individually —query, index, and data—to improve application performance and increase resource utilization. Couchbase Server 4.0 is the first and only distributed database capable of scaling with the speed and precision required by enterprise applications with variable workloads.
Multi-Dimensional Scaling enables enterprises to optimize hardware by allocating resources based on the workload of a specific service, and to avoid resource contention by performing queries, maintaining indexes, and writing data with different nodes. It is inefficient to require participation from every node to perform a query or maintain an index. Couchbase Server 4.0 solves this problem by scaling data independent of queries and indexes.
ForestDB is a state of the art storage engine engineered with multi-core processors and solid state drives in mind. It takes advantage of multi-core processors by executing multiple reads and writes at the same time, while SSD optimizations not only improve performance, they improve the lifespan of solid state drives. And unlike other storage engines, ForestDB leverages a modified data structure to increase read and write performance – not one or the other. Couchbase Server 4.0 will leverage ForestDB to store secondary indexes.
Simplified Security Compliance
Security is a top concern and many enterprises impose internal controls or have to comply with external rules and regulations. With Couchbase Server 4.0, you get simplified security controls for compliance with security standards from PCI to HIPAA to FISMA and more. Version 4.0 comes with native LDAP integration for admin account management and the new auditing capability lets you track admin actions with great level of detail. This is all in addition to our existing security capabilities such as the encryption of data at rest and on the wire.
Cross Datacenter Replication (XDCR) – Filtering
XDCR can be used for many purposes, but for some users XDCR is a means of making data available to geographically distributed locations with low latency. In this case, filtering will make XDCR more efficient.
Here are different scenarios were filtering with XDCR will be useful:
- Minimize network traffic by delivering data relevant to geography with a filter.
- Isolate and maintaining reference data across many regional deployments by filtering XDCR replication to only include reference data.
Download and Experience the power and functionality of CB 4.0 Beta!
- For step by step guidance, visit our getting started guide for Couchbase Server 4.0 Beta here: http://developer.couchbase.com/documentation/server/4.0/introduction/intro.html
- If you want to jump right in, you can download the developer preview from our downloads page: http://www.couchbase.com/nosql-databases/downloads#PreRelease
- If you are looking to develop in Java, .Net, Node or other languages with native SDKs, download the latest SDKs version under the “client libraries” section to connect to the Developer Preview for Couchbase Server 4.0: http://www.couchbase.com/nosql-databases/downloads
- You can find details on SQL-92 connectivity to Couchbase Server 4.0 Beta with Simba ODBC and JDBC drivers here: http://www.simba.com/couchbase/couchbase-odbc-jdbc-connectivity-solutions-beta-now-available
Visit our Couchbase Server 4.0 page for more details. We have our top notch engineers actively monitoring our Forums. Feel free to ask questions, get answers from our technical folks and provide feedback to us at our Forums.