This Capella Cloud Service Subscription Agreement, the addenda incorporated by reference herein, and, if applicable, the Free Trial Terms and Conditions govern the access and use of Couchbase, Inc.’s (“Couchbase”) Capella Cloud Service.
BY CREATING AN ACCOUNT TO USE THE CLOUD SERVICE OR BY USING THE CLOUD SERVICE, YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU REPRESENT AN ORGANIZATION, YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU ARE AUTHORIZED TO AGREE TO THIS AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF YOUR ORGANIZATION. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ALL OF THESE TERMS, DO NOT CREATE AN ACCOUNT AND DO NOT USE THE CLOUD SERVICE.
This Agreement was last updated on July 18, 2022.
Capitalized terms used herein shall have the following definitions:
“Affiliate” means any entity which directly or indirectly controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with Customer or Couchbase, respectively. For purposes of the preceding sentence, “control” means direct or indirect ownership or control of more than 50% of the voting interest in the subject entity.
“Cloud Service” means Couchbase’s database-as-a-service offerings, as deployed in a Cloud Environment.
“Clusters” mean any database deployments in the Cloud Service.
“Cloud Control Plane” means the user interface of the Cloud Service.
“Cloud Environment” means the infrastructure-as-a-service cloud environment provided by a third-party cloud services provider.
“Customer” shall mean the entity that the user represents or, if that does not apply, the user individually.
“Customer Content” means all content or data provided by or on behalf of Customer or Authorized Users in the Cloud Service.
“DPA” means Couchbase’s Data Processing Addendum available at https://www.couchbase.com/capelladpa09262022, as updated or amended from time to time.
“Documentation” means any technical documentation provided by Couchbase related to the Cloud Service.
“Fees” means the sums or fees (i) specified on the applicable Order or SOW for Cloud Service and/or Professional Services, (ii) accrued through Customer’s metered usage of the Cloud Service, or (iii) any other fees or charges payable to Couchbase under this Agreement.
“Order” means a transaction document (such as a signed sales quote) identifying Customer’s subscription for the Cloud Service and/or Professional Services, if applicable, along with the applicable Fees and subscription term(s), if any.
“SOW” means a statement of work identifying and describing the Professional Services purchased by Customer and entered into between Couchbase and Customer.
“Subscription Term” means the subscription period set forth in an Order up to and inclusive of any expiration date or, if no period is specified, then the twelve (12) month period starting from the Order effective date.
The term “including” means including but not limited to.
The terms of this Capella Cloud Service Subscription Agreement, the addenda incorporated by reference herein, any accompanying or future Order or SOW issued hereunder (if any), the DPA, if applicable, and the Free Trial Terms and Conditions, if applicable (collectively, the “Agreement“) govern Customer’s access to and use of the Cloud Service provided by Couchbase. In the event of any conflict between the terms herein, an Order or SOW, and/or the DPA, if applicable, the following order of precedence will apply (in descending order): (1) the DPA with respect to the processing of personal data, (2) the Order or SOW (subject to the terms of Section 12.3 below), and (3) the terms herein, only with respect to such conflict.
3. Access and Use of the Cloud Service.
3.1. Subject to Customer’s compliance with the terms and conditions of the Agreement, Couchbase hereby grants to Customer, and Customer’s end users to whom Customer grants access to the Cloud Service (including Customer’s employees and authorized subcontractors using the Cloud Service on behalf of Customer) (collectively, the “Authorized Users”) a limited, non-exclusive, revocable, non-transferable, non-sublicensable and non-assignable, right to access and use the Cloud Service and the Documentation within the service plan purchased solely for the internal use of Customer and, to the extent expressly authorized in an Order, Customer’s Affiliate(s). From time to time, Couchbase may provide upgrades, patches, enhancements, changes to or fixes for the Cloud Service and the Documentation to its customers generally which shall be subject to this Agreement. Couchbase will provide notice of any material reductions to the functionality of the Cloud Service.
3.2. Use of the Cloud Service requires Customer and/or its Authorized Users to each create a user account, which may require Customer and Authorized Users to provide a username, password and other login credentials (“Registration Information”). By providing Registration Information, Customer and any Authorized Users hereby consent to receive email communications from Couchbase. Customer shall notify Couchbase immediately of any unauthorized use. Couchbase reserves the right, but is not required, to reset or terminate any Registration Information or account credentials if Couchbase suspects any unauthorized access or use. ​​Customer is responsible for the use of the Cloud Service by Authorized Users and any other person(s) to whom Customer has given access to the Cloud Service, even if Customer did not authorize such use.
4. Customer Restrictions. Except as otherwise expressly permitted in the Agreement, Customer shall not, shall not attempt to, and shall not permit any party (including any Authorized User) to: (i) access or use the Cloud Service and/or Documentation in any manner except as expressly permitted in the Agreement; (ii) sell, resell, transfer, sublicense or otherwise make available any part of the Cloud Service and/or Documentation to any third party, provided that Customer may use the Cloud Service in connection with an application Customer offers to its own end users as long as such end users cannot access the Cloud Service directly; (iii) circumvent, interfere with, abuse or endanger the operation or security of the Cloud Service and/or Documentation (including through penetration testing); (iv) access or use the Cloud Service and/or Documentation for the purposes of benchmarking or competitive analysis of the Cloud Service for publication, or developing, using, providing, or supporting products or services competitive to Couchbase; (v) alter, translate, reverse engineer, decompile or prepare any derivative work from or of the Cloud Service or Documentation, or otherwise derive or determine or attempt to derive or determine the source code or other proprietary information or trade secrets from the Cloud Service or Documentation except where such restriction is prohibited; (vi) remove or otherwise alter any Couchbase proprietary notices, trademarks, warranties or disclaimers in or relating to the Cloud Service or Documentation; or (vii) access or use the Cloud Service or Documentation in any manner or for any purpose that infringes, misappropriates, or otherwise violates any intellectual property rights or other rights of any person or entity, or that violates any applicable law.
5. Customer Obligations. Customer acknowledges and agrees that in order to utilize the Cloud Service, Customer is responsible for: (i) selecting a Cloud Environment; (ii) protecting the confidentiality and security of all Registration Information used to access the Cloud Service by Customer or any Authorized User; (iii) implementing and maintaining appropriate technical and security measures to protect Customer Content against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure, or access; (iv) not interfering with, and, if necessary, taking steps to enable, updates to the Cloud Service to ensure Customer is using the latest generally available version of the Cloud Service; (v) implementing and maintaining the appropriate configurations of the Cloud Service to enable the backup services and disaster recovery features of the Cloud Service required for purposes of recovering Customer Content; (vi) properly securing and maintaining any Customer system connected to the Cloud Service (with such steps to include without limitation the regular rotation of access keys and other industry standard steps to preclude unauthorized access); (vii) any software application or service that Customer makes available to Customer’s end users that interfaces with the Cloud Service, and (viii) notifying Couchbase immediately if Customer believes there has been unauthorized access to or activity with respect to the Cloud Environment or Cloud Service.
6. Security. Couchbase will implement and maintain technical organizational security measures. The current technical and organizational security measures are described at Annex B of the DPA.
7. Customer Content.
7.1. Customer hereby grants to Couchbase a limited, non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to use, display, host, copy, process, archive, and transmit any and all Customer Content or other data provided by Customer in connection with any Support (“Support Content,” together with Customer Content, the “Service Content”) to provide and improve the Cloud Service in accordance with the Agreement. Couchbase may use an aggregated and de-identified version of the Service Content for its internal business purposes. Customer represents and warrants and shall ensure that it has the right to provide such right and license and that neither the Service Content itself nor its use by Couchbase for purposes under the Agreement shall violate any applicable law or infringe, misappropriate or otherwise violate any rights of any third party, including intellectual property rights, privacy rights and other rights under contract or law.
7.2. Customer represents and warrants that it shall not transmit to Couchbase, in connection with the Cloud Services (other than such data necessary to pay for any amounts payable to Couchbase): (i) protected health information as defined under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act or similar laws; (ii) cardholder or sensitive authentication data, as those terms are defined in the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards;or (iii) data that require additional security measures not provided for under this Addendum until the Parties have adopted the applicable agreement amendment or modification providing for such measures. If any such Service Content is inadvertently transmitted to Couchbase, Customer acknowledges and agrees that it shall cooperate with Couchbase to securely delete such Service Content.
8. Professional Services.
8.1. The parties may agree that Couchbase shall provide consulting services (which may result in reports, recommendations, or other deliverables) and training as expressly identified in the applicable Order or SOW (collectively, the “Professional Services”) signed by both parties. Couchbase will render the Professional Services on a commercially reasonable basis in a professional and workmanlike manner in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Agreement and the applicable Order or SOW. Couchbase may provide Professional Services using qualified subcontractors.
8.2. Unless explicitly set forth in an Order or SOW, any Professional Services purchased under the Agreement shall expire upon the end of the applicable subscription period set forth in an Order up to and inclusive of any expiration date or after twelve (12) months if no expiration date is specified (in each case, the “Services Expiration Date”). Any unused Professional Services after such Services Expiration Date shall expire without refund of any prepaid Fees. Unless otherwise stated in this Order, Customer shall pay Couchbase’s reasonable travel and incidental expenses incurred in conducting (in relation to the Professional Services or otherwise) on-site activities at Customer’s site upon receiving an invoice from Couchbase.
9. Support and Service Levels. Except for any Beta Service, Free Trials or as otherwise set forth in the Agreement, Couchbase will (i) provide Customer with the level of the technical support within Customer’s service plan as described at https://www.couchbase.com/support-policy/cloud, as updated from time to time (the “Support”), selected by Customer through the Cloud Control Plane or in an Order and paid for by Customer, and (ii) use commercially reasonable efforts to meet or exceed the service levels for Customer’s service plan set forth in the then-current service level agreement available at https://www.couchbase.com/CapellaSLA, as updated from time to time (the “Service Level Agreement”). For prepaid Credit (as defined in the description of fees and charges incorporated by reference herein) subscriptions, Support expires at the earlier of the consumption or expiration of the prepaid Credits, and the service plan entitlement shall only accompany the prepaid Credits purchased in the same Order as the applicable service plan. For On-Demand Credits (as defined in the description of fees and charges incorporated by reference herein), Support is available for so long as Customer pays for On-Demand Credits and expires upon termination of the On-Demand Credits in accordance with this Agreement. In connection with Support, Couchbase may receive performance and operational data and information direct