Howells brings combination of enterprise and open source marketing expertise to NoSQL leader
Mountain View, Calif. – August 29, 2013 – Couchbase, a leader in NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project, today announced the appointment of Ian Howells as chief marketing officer (CMO). With over twenty years of experience in technology product management and marketing, Howells joins Couchbase at a time when the company is rapidly enhancing its product development and global investment to align with the projected multi-billion dollar NoSQL industry.
- A technologist and serial entrepreneur, Howells has previously held senior marketing roles at Documentum through its IPO, SeeBeyond through its IPO and acquisition by Sun, as well Alfresco and StorSimple, acquired by Microsoft.
- Howells earned his Ph.D. in distributed database systems from University College Cardiff and has published a number of papers and contributed to books on related topics. He also previously penned the blog, “Open Source Hearts and Minds” for Computerworld.
- Couchbase recently announced its latest round of funding – a Series D of $25 million led by Adams Street Partners – bringing its total amount raised to $55 million.
- Couchbase will host its third annual San Francisco user conference – Couchbase [SF] – on September 13, 2013, with presentations from customers including PayPal, McGraw-Hill, Nielsen, Orbitz and LivePerson.
- “Couchbase has experienced more than 400% in sales growth over the course of 2013,” said Bob Wiederhold, CEO of Couchbase. “As enterprises rapidly adopt NoSQL, Ian’s experience in the industry and proven track record will play a large role in Couchbase’s expansion into new markets across the globe.”
- “As a market-leading NoSQL provider, Couchbase’s vision and technology are reshaping the database industry,” said newly appointed Couchbase CMO Ian Howells. “In joining the team, I look forward to further building Couchbase’s evolving market presence, programs and community.”
- Visit www.couchbase.com
- Download Couchbase Server 2.1
- Follow @Couchbase on Twitter
- Read Bob Wiederhold’s blog about the company and the NoSQL Market
Modern customer experiences need a flexible database platform that can power applications spanning from cloud to edge and everything in between. Couchbase’s mission is to simplify how developers and architects develop, deploy and consume modern applications wherever they are. We have reimagined the database with our fast, flexible and affordable cloud database platform Capella, allowing organizations to quickly build applications that deliver premium experiences to their customers– all with best-in-class price performance. More than 30% of the Fortune 100 trust Couchbase to power their modern applications. For more information, visit www.couchbase.com and follow us on Twitter @couchbase