NoSQL leader provides scalable, high-performance database behind Jawfish’s award-winning platform for real-time multi-player tournament games on mobile devices
San Francisco, Calif. – GDC 2013 Booth #2035 – March 27, 2013 – Couchbase, Inc., a leader in NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project, today announced that Jawfish Games relies on Couchbase document-oriented database technology as the persistent data store behind its award-winning real-time game tournament platform for mobile users. Jawfish Games was recognized earlier this month at LAUNCH Festival 2013, where it earned the Best Consumer Award for the development of its groundbreaking platform, powered by Couchbase Server.
- Jawfish Games provides a real-time multiplayer tournament platform for mobile and web games. To support their fast match-making and to coordinate many thousands of players through their real-time games, Jawfish Games requires a highly scalable data store solution with reliably low-latency response times.
- Today, Couchbase Server is the document-database behind Jawfish Games’ pioneering platform for real-time tournament play on mobile devices. Couchbase Server is used for all persistent data such as player accounts, metadata, game statistics, achievement system, and leaderboards. It also supports the rules engines, and stores and serves marketing-related data such as bonus offers.
- Jawfish selected Couchbase after struggling with its initial efforts to develop a distributed data layer using Amazon’s DynamoDB, which proved to be more difficult to manage at scale and expensive. Couchbase was chosen for its easy, efficient scalability; consistent high performance for real-time data; and indexing/map reduce capabilities.
- Couchbase will be showcasing Jawfish Games at Booth #2035 at the Game Developers Conference being held in San Francisco’s Moscone Center today through Friday. Players will have the opportunity to experience real-time tournament play as well as compete for prizes awarded at the booth each day.
- “Our vision is for games that are powered by Jawfish to be immediately recognizable as real time, competitive, and incredibly fun. This means that our technology platform has to provide great performance and reliability at scale. Couchbase meets that standard, and is incredibly critical to our ability to deliver on our vision.”- Phil Gordon, CEO, Jawfish Games
- “We congratulate Jawfish Games on their innovation and early success. We are honored to be a part of that success through Jawfish’s reliance on Couchbase Server as the always scalable, always-on NoSQL database behind their revolutionary tournament gaming platform.” – Bob Wiederhold, CEO, Couchbase
- Download Couchbase Server 2.0
- Follow @Couchbase on Twitter
- Like Couchbase on Facebook
About Jawfish Games
Jawfish Games is the industry leader in real-time, multi-player tournaments for mobile and web. The Jawfish Games mission is to help people stop playing with themselves. Games played in real time tournaments are more exciting, fun, and engaging. Jawfish has created a scalable, resilient, lightweight infrastructure for turning great single-player titles into even better multi-player real-time tournaments. Their software is cross-platform and seamlessly facilitates fun and engaging tournaments with players on different devices playing in the same field of play.
About Couchbase Open Source Project
The Couchbase Open Source Project is a leading NoSQL database project, with a vibrant community focused on developing distributed database technology that supports both key-value and document-oriented use cases. All Couchbase technology components are available under the Apache 2.0 License, and may also be obtained as packaged software from Couchbase, Inc. in both enterprise and community editions.
Modern customer experiences need a flexible database platform that can power applications spanning from cloud to edge and everything in between. Couchbase’s mission is to simplify how developers and architects develop, deploy and consume modern applications wherever they are. We have reimagined the database with our fast, flexible and affordable cloud database platform Capella, allowing organizations to quickly build applications that deliver premium experiences to their customers– all with best-in-class price performance. More than 30% of the Fortune 100 trust Couchbase to power their modern applications. For more information, visit www.couchbase.com and follow us on Twitter @couchbase