Couchbase and NTT DOCOMO Expand Relationship with Strategic Investment
October 18, 2011
NoSQL database leader receives financing from DOCOMO Capital as part of Series C
Mountain View, Calif. – October 18, 2011 – Couchbase, Inc., the leading NoSQL database company, today announced that DOCOMO Capital, Inc., a subsidiary of NTT DOCOMO, INC., has made a strategic investment in the company. Couchbase also today announced a strategic customer relationship with DOCOMO Innovations, Inc. to develop and deploy mobile services using Couchbase’s NoSQL database software (see DOCOMO Chooses Couchbase NoSQL Technology).
- DOCOMO Capital, a subsidiary of NTT DOCOMO that is responsible for venture investments in mobile communications-related companies, has made a strategic investment in Couchbase.
- The investment is part of the $15 million series C financing announced by Couchbase in August, $14 million of which was provided by the company’s venture capital investors.
- The announcement of a strategic investment from DOCOMO Capital expands and further solidifies the multi-year strategic relationship between Couchbase and DOCOMO Innovations. The relationship is focused on developing next-generation mobile services based on Couchbase technology, which provides a NoSQL database native to the mobile device and unique real-time mobile-to-cloud data synchronization.
- Eisuke Miki, President and CEO of DOCOMO Capital: “We are increasingly convinced that NoSQL database technology is disrupting the database industry and that it will be an increasingly important part of the mobile/cloud infrastructure. With proven NoSQL database technology and a compelling roadmap for the quickly evolving mobile application landscape, Couchbase is an innovative company we believe has the core technology to lead the market. We are pleased to participate in the series C round of financing as a new strategic investor.”
- Bob Wiederhold, CEO, Couchbase: “The investment from DOCOMO Capital is not only a testament to the strong relationship we’ve cultivated with DOCOMO, but it also demonstrates the strength of our NoSQL database technology. Couchbase is well positioned to accelerate the development of NoSQL database solutions that uniquely support the growing need for cloud-based mobile infrastructure and new applications and services.”
About DOCOMO Capital
Based in Palo Alto, California, DOCOMO Capital is a wholly owned U.S. subsidiary of NTT DOCOMO (NYSE:DCM), the leading mobile communication company based in Japan. Working closely with NTT DOCOMO's business and R&D divisions, DOCOMO Capital is in charge of NTT DOCOMO's venture investments in mobile communications related start-up companies mainly in the United States. DOCOMO Capital is committed to investing in and strategically backing applicable start-up companies that have evolving and advancing cutting-edge new technologies to promote growth and ultimately introducing them into NTT DOCOMO's future services and products.
Unlike other NoSQL databases, Couchbase provides an enterprise-class, multicloud to edge database that offers the robust capabilities required for business-critical applications on a highly scalable and available platform. As a distributed cloud-native database, Couchbase runs in modern dynamic environments and on any cloud, either customer-managed or fully managed as-a-service. Couchbase is built on open standards, combining the best of NoSQL with the power and familiarity of SQL, to simplify the transition from mainframe and relational databases.
Couchbase has become pervasive in our everyday lives; our customers include industry leaders Amadeus, American Express, Carrefour, Cisco, Comcast/Sky, Disney, eBay, LinkedIn, Marriott, Tesco, Tommy Hilfiger, United, Verizon, as well as hundreds of other household names. For more information, visit www.couchbase.com.
© 2020 Couchbase, Inc. All rights reserved. Couchbase, the Couchbase logo, and the names and marks associated with Couchbase’s products are trademarks of Couchbase, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.