Two years ago we launched Couchbase Capella™ as our fully-managed and hosted version of Couchbase Server. Originally, we launched only on AWS in a handful of regions. What a difference two years can make.
From the beginning, Capella has offered customers the same benefits of our powerful Couchbase Server, with the added benefit of reduced management efforts.
Some of those core aspects of Capella that have been available from the beginning include:
- Flexible JSON document data storage: Your object model is not held back by the rigidity of a relational schema.
- Queried via SQL: Easy to transition from the RDBMS world; powerful SQL syntax supporting things like JOINs and ACID transactions across documents and collections.
- Built-in cache: At the heart of our memory-first architecture, driving many operations at sub-millisecond speeds.
- Multimodel workload support: Key value, full-text search, eventing, and analytics.
- Active-Active replication and High Availability: All nodes can read and write; data is auto-sharded, auto-replicated, and auto-recovered. The cluster map rules!
- Automation: Setup, management, security, and scaling are controlled in a single pane.
- Multidimensional scaling: Align core services to your hardware to meet application needs; driving efficiency and cost-savings. What other product can independently scale its indexes?
Over the past two years, our team has worked tirelessly to make Capella better by running faster and being an easier service to use while also being more available and affordable than ever.
Here are some of the key enhancements:
- Support for all three major clouds: Capella is supported on AWS, Google Cloud and Azure
- Available in 70 regions: Across the major cloud providers, Capella can be deployed across 70 regions and that list continues to grow. Broader regional support helps customers in the areas of latency reduction, data sovereignty, global expansion, and flexibility in disaster recovery to name a few.
- Hybrid cloud support: With our Cross Datacenter Replication technology (XDCR) customers can replicate between Capella and self-managed clusters.
- Capella App Services: Our fully managed version of Couchbase Mobile. Sync, store, query, search, and analyze from cloud to edge, and between peer devices even when offline.
- IDE integrations: To make it easier for developers to get started with Capella, we have built integrations into many of the leading development environments like JetBrains, VS Code, Netlify, Vercel, and more.
- Security and compliances: Our dedication to security has led to broad compliance support, including SOC 2 TYPE II, GDPR, HIPAA, PCI DSS, and CSA STAR. Learn more at our Trust Center.
- Single sign-on: We’ve added SSO support for Okta, Azure AD, Ping, CyberArk, Google Workspaces, and OneLogin.
- Database on/off: During development, manually set or schedule your database to turn on or off, drastically lowering your costs.
- Magma storage engine: For data-intensive workloads, Magma expands node capacities from 3TB to 10TB while accelerating disk throughput, while reducing memory-to-data ratios.
- Time series support: Capella now includes the ability to rapidly store and query time series highly structured and voluminous data in JSON array structures.
- Management API v4.0: A secure REST API that enables you to provision, deploy, and configure Capella deployments programmatically with HTTP clients or infrastructure-as-code (IaC) tools.
- Capella iQ: Is coming soon, now in private preview. Capella iQ is a built-in co-pilot to help you write SQL queries, create sample data, and write Capella-related code using AI and natural language prompts. Video.
Over the past two years, we have seen organizations across many industries and all sizes adopt Capella. Customers appreciate that Capella is fast, affordable, versatile, and easy to use. This includes large global enterprises like gaming giant Nexon, who chose Capella to power one of their recent hit online games, and Centrica a leading British multinational energy and services company with over 20,000 employees. Startups and small businesses also gain from Capella’s strong capabilities and fully managed nature. Quantic uses Capella to scale its Point of Sale (POS) platform for an improved developer experience and offline capabilities, while Lotum, a gaming developer with a team of around 50 people, uses Capella to power one of its most popular games across millions of users daily.
Over the past two years, Capella has seen a long list of advancements to benefit our customers. If you haven’t used Capella yet, today is a great day to start a free trial.