Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the definition of a Server and how many subscriptions do I need to buy for my cluster?
The definition of a Server is an instance of the software running on one operating system. As a result, you need to purchase as many Enterprise Edition subscriptions as you have physical commodity servers (if you are not running a hypervisor) or you have virtual machines (if you are running on hypervisors). For example, if you are running Couchbase Server in six (6) virtual partitions on three (3) physical servers, you need to purchase six (6) subscriptions. If you are running Couchbase Server directly on three (3) physical commodity servers, you need to purchase three (3) subscriptions.
2. Can I have different support levels for each Server in my cluster?
No, all Servers in your cluster must be at the same Enterprise Edition subscription level. For example, to receive 24x7 support, all Servers in your cluster must be licensed at the Enterprise Edition – Gold subscription level.
3. Do I need to purchase an Enterprise Edition subscription for development, QA, and pre-production usage?
Customers can use Enterprise Edition free-of-charge for unlimited pre-production development and testing with forum support. For customers who require technical support during production, development, QA, pre-production testing and/or as part of a 3rd-party packaged and/or partner-provided solution, a paid subscription is required. This is inclusive of nodes and/or devices in non-production where the production usage requires an Enterprise Edition paid subscription.
4. Do I require a paid for Enterprise Edition subscription when I go into Production?
5. The number of nodes in my cluster expands during peak usage and then contracts during periods of lower usage. For how many Servers do I need to buy subscriptions to support this usage pattern?
When deciding on pricing, we tried to consider the fact that many customer deployments would expand and contract. As a result, our policy is that you need to buy Enterprise Edition subscriptions for all Servers that are operating during peak usage. However, if you have a deployment that has wide swings from peaks to valleys, please contact sales at email@example.com to discuss alternative licensing approaches.
6. What is the duration of an Enterprise Subscription agreement?
Standard duration is one year. For customers that buy many subscriptions and want to synchronize on a single annual renewal date, this can be arranged by contacting sales at firstname.lastname@example.org. For customers interested in multi-year subscriptions, please contact sales as well.
7. How is the software provided as part of an Enterprise Subscription different than the Community Edition? Is it identical to the open source version of Couchbase Server?
The free Community Edition is provided by Couchbase, Inc. as a service to the community and gives you a set of binaries that enables you to build a simple application by providing basic availability, performance, tooling and security capabilities. The Enterprise Edition subscription represents the latest, most stable, production-ready release and provides a range of availability, performance, tooling and security capabilities for commercial production systems. Enterprise Edition also includes extensive QA testing, bug fixes, customer hot fixes and technical support. For more information on Couchbase editions please see the Couchbase Server Editions page on the developer portal.
8. What are “hot fixes”? Who gets access to them? Are they contributed back to the open source?
If a customer experiences a problem that requires an immediate bug fix and a Couchbase patch, a “hot fix” will be provided. Hot fixes are provided only to paying Enterprise Edition customers.
9. Can I upgrade from one Enterprise Edition subscription level to another?
Yes, we would be happy to upgrade your Enterprise Edition subscription on a prorated basis for the remaining duration of your subscription. Please contact sales at email@example.com.
10. How is forum support different than the commercial support provided as a part of an Enterprise Subscription agreement?
Forum support is provided by the community. Couchbase, Inc.’s technical support personnel and engineers monitor the forums from time to time but Enterprise Edition paid customers are their top priority. Paid Enterprise Edition support is provided by technical support personnel and engineering based on the Service Level Agreement associated with the particular level of support (e.g. Silver, Gold) purchased. For more information on our support policy please see the Couchbase Support Policy page on our website. Custom service level agreements are also available.
11. Can a customer use Enterprise Edition to evaluate the product?
Yes, customers can use Enterprise Edition free-of-charge for unlimited pre-production development and testing with forum support.