New Capabilities Help Developers Build Secure and Highly Collaborative Applications for Improving Customer and Employee Experiences
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., May 10, 2018 -- Couchbase, Inc., creator of the world’s first Engagement Database, today announced the latest version of the Couchbase Data Platform with Couchbase Server 5.5. The latest release combines the power of SQL and the flexibility of JSON to offer simplified application management and operational agility. With new features including ANSI joins, Eventing, and Autonomous Operator for Kubernetes, enterprises can easily develop and deploy applications across multicloud environments to create exceptional experiences for customers and employees.
With the Couchbase Data Platform, organizations can seamlessly transition workloads from relational databases and accelerate deployment of applications in multicloud environments. The platform’s built-in enterprise security features also offer field-level encryption to protect sensitive user data, in addition to the flexibility to meet new data regulations such as GDPR. The Couchbase Data Platform includes recently-launched Mobile 2.0, which extends business critical applications to the edge securely and easily, regardless of Internet connectivity.
Some of the new features and associated benefits in Couchbase Server 5.5 include:
Unmatched agility and flexibility
- ANSI joins in N1QL: The Couchbase Data Platform is the only platform that extends SQL to support JSON data natively via N1QL queries. N1QL now has support for ANSI joins, making it easier to migrate applications from relational databases to Couchbase. Developers are also more productive as they can leverage their SQL knowledge to develop applications on Couchbase.
- Eventing: Eventing is a highly available, performant and scalable service that enables user-defined business logic to be triggered in real-time on the server when application interactions create changes in data. Eventing makes it easy to develop, deploy, debug and maintain data-driven business logic from a centralized platform.
Unparalleled performance and responsive application design
- Index partitioning: Index partitioning enables users to index a large number of documents and horizontally scale out an index as needed. The system will transparently partition the index across a number of index nodes using hash partitioning, increasing the performance and data capacity of the cluster.
- Aggregate optimization: Since the introduction of N1QL, Couchbase has improved the query performance by orders of magnitude, and with aggregate optimization, the query engine leverages the indexes to perform aggregate calculations to improve the performance of queries by another order of magnitude.
The easiest platform to manage
- Autonomous Operator: The Couchbase Autonomous Operator for Kubernetes enables cloud portability and automates operational best practices for deploying and managing the Couchbase Data Platform.
- Security compliance: Couchbase continues to extend its support for security to enable enterprises to meet increasing security compliance requirements such as the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). X.509 certificate authentication is extended beyond key-value data access to query and search services for all SDKs.
“In data-driven organizations, developers need to create information rich applications with speed and agility to meet fast-changing data requirements. With the Couchbase Data Platform extending SQL to support JSON data natively via N1QL queries, organizations can empower their developers to leverage their SQL skill sets to create engaging applications with multiple access methods from a single platform.”
--John L. Myers, Managing Research Director, Enterprise Management Associates
“As a Couchbase solution partner, Infosys continues to be impressed with the Couchbase Data Platform strategy and the extension of its capabilities in the recent GA of Mobile 2.0 and now Server 5.5 beta announcement. In particular, the new Eventing Service in 5.5 is a significant addition to the product. Infosys believes the ability to apply business logic with Couchbase Functions will enable powerful new use cases across a number of industry solutions.”
--Gautam Khanna, VP and Global Head - Open Source CoE, Infosys
“We are pleased to see Couchbase continue to deliver against their innovation roadmap, working closely with customers. Couchbase Server 5.5 addresses various agility and flexibility challenges so developers can iterate over applications at the pace required in today’s environment.”
--Brant Burnett, Systems Architect, CenterEdge Software
“Couchbase Server 5.5 takes developer agility to a new level by enabling them to build enterprise grade applications with significant new capabilities. In addition, with the GDPR compliance deadline around the corner, we’ve addressed operational robustness in areas such as data manageability and security as customers increasingly put more and more mission-critical data into the Couchbase Data Platform.”
--Ravi Mayuram, CTO and Senior Vice President of Engineering, Couchbase
Couchbase Server 5.5 will be generally available in the Summer; Couchbase Mobile 2.0 is generally available today.
Couchbase Data Platform Interactive Architecture Graphic
At Couchbase, we believe data is at the heart of the enterprise. We empower developers and architects to build, deploy, and run their most mission-critical applications. Couchbase delivers a high-performance, flexible, and scalable modern database that runs across the data center and any cloud. Many of the world’s largest enterprises rely on Couchbase to power the core applications their businesses depend on. For more information, visit www.couchbase.com.