Hi, I setup a couchbase server on my windows azure vm, that I am also using to serve my web app.
I was serving the app fine and making regular feature updates to it, when all of a sudden my app refused to connect to couchbase (I am using the default 8091 port).
I also discovered that I cannot login to the UI anymore (obviously).
The only thing that fixed this issue was deleting the couchbase windows service and reinstalling. This fixed this for a while, but after roughly 12 hours the issue came up again. I read somewhere that I needed an install path without spaces in it - I tried this too, to no avail. Last time I tried to reinstall after a mere 10 minutes the problem came up again, and I am currently unable to serve my application.