Anti-affinity Rules

Any plans for implementing anti-affinity into the Couchbase Kubernetes Operator based cluster deployments?

I’m looking for something similar to the Redis example in this document.

I have 6 kubernetes worker nodes in a test environment and when I increased my couchbase cluster from 3 nodes to 6 nodes a couple of the couchbase nodes ended up on the same worker nodes creating single points of failure.

I tried introducing the anti-affinity attributes to the couchbase-cluster.yaml but they don’t appear to get forwarded through to the deployed pods.

Hey @k3nnyP,

The Couchbase Autonomous Operator actually has support for Anti-Affinity built-in.

You can enable it by using the antiAffinity attribute in your cluster deployment as detailed in https://developer.couchbase.com/documentation/server/5.5/operator/couchbaseClusterConfig.html#antiaffinity.

Let me know if this works for you, it definitely works in all the environments I’ve tested it in.

Cheers,
Matt

Working like a charm. The 6 CB nodes deployed on separate worker nodes. I added a 7th CB node and it did not deploy until after I added a 7th worker node. It also reduced CB nodes as I removed worker nodes. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Kenny

That’s good to hear @k3nnyP!!

@k3nnyP can you tell us where are you testing it - on physical machines, VMs, Cloud instances ?

IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service