Windows 8.1 Machine will not connect to Couchbase

Hi There,

I’m having a lot of trouble connecting to Couchbase using the .Net API. My primary development machine is a laptop running Windows 8.1, and I also have a desktop running Windows 7. I’ve developed a few test applications for connecting to, reading records from, and storing documents in Couchbase. These test apps run fine on my Win7 desktop, however the connection always times out on the Win8 laptop. I’ve tried everything I can think of to diagnose the issue, but so far it seems inexplicable.

I keep getting the following error in the logs:

2014-05-09 08:42:10,229 [9] WARN Couchbase.MessageStreamListener [(null)] <(null)> - ReadMessage failed with exception:
System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at Couchbase.MessageStreamListener.ReadMessages(Uri heartBeatUrl, Uri configUrl) in c:\Development\CSharp\CouchBase_net_client\Couchbase\MessageStreamListener.cs:line 399
at Couchbase.MessageStreamListener.ProcessPool() in c:\Development\CSharp\CouchBase_net_client\Couchbase\MessageStreamListener.cs:line 268
2014-05-09 08:42:10,234 [9] WARN Couchbase.MessageStreamListener [(null)] <(null)> - Reached the retry limit, rethrowing.
System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at Couchbase.MessageStreamListener.ReadMessages(Uri heartBeatUrl, Uri configUrl) in c:\Development\CSharp\CouchBase_net_client\Couchbase\MessageStreamListener.cs:line 399
at Couchbase.MessageStreamListener.ProcessPool() in c:\Development\CSharp\CouchBase_net_client\Couchbase\MessageStreamListener.cs:line 268

Other strange behavior I’ve encountered is that the Couchbase server will not install on my Win8 laptop. The installer gets to ‘Computing space requirements’ before locking up and having to be force-closed.

If anyone has some insight in to why my computer refuses to have anything to do with Couchbase, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick,

I have just loaded the CouchBase Server Community version 2.20 64 Bit on to my Windows 8.1 Desktop with no problem at all. In matter of fact I am playing around with MongoDB and CouchBase to see which one I will use in my next project and I was very surprised at the simple way the CouchBase installed.

It took only a minute or two and my web browser open and I was all set to play, no piping files and playing with the command prompt like a MongoDB installation.

Sorry that I can’t offer any advice to your issue of installation, but mine was floor less, my Desktop is a AMD FX 8350 4.33 Ghz with 32 Gb Ram.

Take care,

Ashley

niculear -

It looks like the client cannot complete the bootstrap process. A couple of things to check:

• Make sure you are not running an HTTP debugger/filter like Fiddler or Charles; these will impact the streaming connection and cause the bootstrapping to fail.
  • Check your Windows firewall and ensure your not blocking access to ports 8091, 8092, 11210, etc
  • Check if you can connect via your browser to http:[hostname of your server]:8091/index.html

Thanks,

Jeff

There are no http debuggers running, I’ve tried completely disabling the firewall, and I can connect to the server via my browser. I still get the same result when trying to connect to couchbase with a simple .Net app. Any other suggestions of what I can try?

Update:

Using a workaround I found here:

I was able to get couchbase installed on my local machine, however I STILL can’t make a successful connection to it. I still get the same error when connecting to http://127.0.0.1:8091/pools/.

niculear -

Good to hear you got past the first issue :slight_smile:

For the second, can you create a Jira ticket and attach your solution/project as an attachment? I’ll try it on my local which is Win 8.1 and a local instance of Couchbase and see if it works. This should tell us if it’s config issue or something else (environment related) that’s conflicting with the bootstrap streaming connection.

Also, what version of Couchbase and the client are you using?

You can create a ticket here: http://www.couchbase.com/issues/browse/NCBC

Thanks,

-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I’m using couchbase enterprise 2.5.1, and the latest version of the .Net client. I’ll open an issue and attach my solution, but I’m not sure how much you will be able to glean from it as it’s literally about 10 lines of code, just connecting to couchbase and reading 1 record.

There is one strange item I forgot to mention, if I use the couchbase management API, and do something like flush a bucket, that works.

You had mentioned HTTP debuggers, and I understand why that would cause issues because it set’s itself up as a proxy. I’m running Hyper-V on my local machine, so my Ethernet connection is bridged to the Hyper-V virtual adapter. That shouldn’t really matter, but I’m grasping at straws at this point.

Thanks for the help,
-Nick

The problem turned out to be BitDefender. Disabling the anti-virus and firewall was not enough, it took completely uninstalling to get the Couchbase connection working.