Upgrade from 6.0.0 to 7.0.2

Hello,

as per documentation the upgrade path for the Community Edition is as follows:

6.0 → 6.5 → 6.6 → 7.0

https://docs.couchbase.com/server/current/install/upgrade.html#supported-upgrade-paths

I do want to do an online update to our existing cluster. Does this mean, that

a) I’ve to update all nodes from 6.0 to 6.5 then all nodes from 6.5 to 6.6. and then all nodes from 6.6 to 7.0

OR

b) I can update the first node from 6.0 to 6.5 then 6.6. then 7.0 and then repeat the same process for all the other nodes

Any help or experience with such an upgrade is highly appreciated.

Best,
Peter

1 Like

Hi @prainer,

It appears that you have read the docs right you definitely want to follow your case a) upgrade all nodes each time to the given version before moving on to the next. Yes the documentation could explicitly call this out (I have asked that a clarification be made).

I believe that you don’t enable the latest versions features until all nodes are at a given upgrade version. Thus until all nodes are at say 6.6 you really are not “fully upgraded” or running the new 6.6 features.

Best

Jon Strabala
Principal Product Manager - Server‌

@jon.strabala thanks for the clarification - the reason for my question was that we had performance issues with 6.5 which seem to have been resolved in 7.0 - so I was hoping for a way to skip 6.5 in the upgrade process. As we have to repeat the entire process for every version, we will most likely have to go for the offline upgrade instead, because the application would be almost unavailable whilst on 6.5 anyways.