It’s a business decision for you. It sounds like you’ve concluded the cost to you of staying on an obsolete, unsupported version is less than the cost of buying an EE license (including support.) It’s very unlikely we’ll be giving encryption away in the future, as we do need to make money to fund development.
It is a problem with the License it self: It is (or was?) not flexible enough to satisfy our Project’s manager. He was willing to buy a Couchbase.Lite license, but was not interested in a Couchbase server License, but he found out it was not possible to get one wihtout the other, so he declined.
I find your product worth to pay for it… but it is not a decision i can make
Until now we are using Couchbase Server CE and Couchbase Mobile CE, and all the features provided there are more than enough for our simple purpose application; the only we are missing is encryption in CBLite 2.x.
For that reason, and since our company is a three-programmer-small company my Manager is willing to invest in a License for Couchbase Mobile, but not for Couchbase Server. If there was “a provision for a client-only license” we would seriously consider to purchase it.