Couchbase Lite SDK for Flutter

With the great growth of Flutter, we need to have a native Couchbase Lite SDK for Flutter.

Please add this to the roadmap.

1 Like

Thanks for your input. Have you considered using our Couchbase Lite for C API and leveraging Dart.ffi ?

Can you point to evidence or numbers showing Flutter’s popularity? I’m not doubting you, but when I look at the TIOBE popularity index, Dart is at #27, well below the languages we currently support, and below JavaScript and Rust, which have been requested for years.

Today I’m using the couchbase_lite plugin for Flutter.
I think Couchbase Lite for C API with Dart.ffi is a good option, but complicated for anyone to use.

About popularity, I think that in this case we need to consider only mobile languages.
Flutter reached more than 100K stars on GitHub, passing React Native.

Other NoSQL databases like Realm already have a Dart/Flutter SDK preview version.

I’m also creating a Flutter + Couchbase App and it would be very usefull having a native SDK.

Check out

I have been working on this package at the moment and it uses the C api, and it supports windows and android. I expect to be able to add ios/macos support next year when I get a hand on a mac.
It’s not production ready yet, but it’s feature complete and it mostly only needs testing and improving memory management (eliminating leaks).

You guys are welcome to test it and contribute it.

2 Likes

I guess allanwoiski is right, It is needed a Flutter SDK, if numbers are important then Scala is a language with less popularity than flutter right now, and there is an SDK for Scala right ?, on the other side Flutter is becoming the 1rst or 2nd option to build multiplatform mobile apps (no Java or Swift can provide that). By numbers, Flutter is even ahead of C#/Xamarin and Delphi.

As far as flutter support on Couchbase Lite, there are several community driven initiatives. While we do not officially support the third party plugins, there is a plugin developed on top of our CBL-C API from a community partner that will be GA with our next 3.0 major release of CBL- I would recommend checking the plugin out (CC @gabriel )

if numbers are important then Scala is a language with less popularity than flutter right now, and there is an SDK for Scala right ?

BTW, from your statement above, sounds like you are discussing server SDK and not Couchbase Lite SDK which is what this thread is about. Scala is supported on our server SDK and not couchbase lite. The list of supported languages on CBL is available here