Python SDK install failed with PEP 517

I am using Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS with virtualenv 16.0.0 and python 3.6.9.

and $ pip --version
pip 20.1.1 from /home/samgooi4189/functionize/couchbase-loadtest/couchbase_env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip (python 3.6)
Installed necessary packages needed according to https://docs.couchbase.com/python-sdk/3.0/hello-world/start-using-sdk.html

And additional couchbase lib:
apt list libcouchbase-dev Listing... Done libcouchbase-dev/bionic,now 2.10.6-1 amd64 [installed] apt list libcouchbase2-core
Listing… Done
libcouchbase2-core/bionic,now 2.10.6-1 amd64 [installed]
$ apt list libcouchbase2-bin
Listing… Done
libcouchbase2-bin/bionic,now 2.10.6-1 amd64 [installed]

I tried “pip install couchbase” and get error due to PEP517.
Then I tried “pip install --no-binary :all: couchbase”, get the same error again.

ERROR: Could not build wheels for couchbase which use PEP 517 and cannot be installed directly

log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tMdzXGgaDJoQLxydxUe15LQEE0xIP4W0/view?usp=sharing

What can I do to resolve this issue?

Hi, was the output you sent from:

pip install couchbase -v

If not, please could you send that, or if so, an even more verbose version:

pip install couchbase -v -v -v

Thanks,

Ellis

Hi,

the log piped with

pip install couchbase -v -v -v

Hi, could you pipe stderr and stdout to the same file?
I’m interested in what happens between

Building wheel for couchbase (PEP 517): started

and

Building wheel for couchbase (PEP 517): finished with status 'error'

and I suspect that this output has been sent to another console stream.

You should be able to do this by running:

pip install couchbase -v -v -v > debug_allstd.log 2>&1

Thanks,

Ellis

Hi, here is the log https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jup_RQ4k9bfdX73gcp_OMrF1Vajvoar4/view?usp=sharing

Hi, thanks for the updated logs - I couldn’t identify anything obvious but there is quite a bit more detail.

I’ve been working on an installer with cut-down dependencies - perhaps this will help.

Can you install version 3.0.1? ( pip install couchbase==3.0.1 )

couchbase==3.0.1 works

Successfully built couchbase
Installing collected packages: typing, wrapt, typing-extensions, pyrsistent, attrs, mypy-extensions, couchbase
Successfully installed attrs-19.3.0 couchbase-3.0.1 mypy-extensions-0.4.3 pyrsistent-0.16.0 typing-3.7.4.3 typing-extensions-3.7.4.2 wrapt-1.12.1

Is this means latest couchbase Python SDK have issue?

Looks like it, have just made some fixes but doing further testing. You can try pip install couchbase==3.0.4b1 for a preview, though I’m doing some extra testing to ensure this works everywhere I can think of.

One further thing I’ve noticed is that older PIPs don’t necessary honour PEP517, so it may be necessary to upgrade your PIP/setuptools environment as follows:

pip install --upgrade pip setuptools wheel

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Ellis

I already run those to upgrade pip before installing couchbase SDK , so not related to PIP version

$ pip install --upgrade pip setuptools wheel
Requirement already up-to-date: pip in ./couchbase_env/lib/python3.6/site-packages (20.1.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: setuptools in ./couchbase_env/lib/python3.6/site-packages (49.2.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: wheel in ./couchbase_env/lib/python3.6/site-packages (0.34.2)

Thanks, what output did you get from the following?

pip install couchbase==3.0.4b1 -v -v -v

Successfully installed

couchbase==3.0.4b1

log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vNvS1tsjsF9NJcisil4mroL3tmijDdQr/view?usp=sharing

Ah, great news - I plan to release this imminently as 3.0.4 - many thanks!

1 Like

Hi, I’m using Python 3.9.1 and pip 21.0.1

Error : “ERROR: Could not build wheels for couchbase which use PEP 517 and cannot be installed directly”

tried above steps still facing same issue

1 Like

Hi @SANDESH_A_S - what OS are you on? Also, can you try installing w/ Python 3.8?

I am also getting the same error using below command:-
pip install couchbase==3.0.4b1 -v -v -v
pip install couchbase

Error:-

Building wheel for couchbase (PEP 517) … error
ERROR: Failed building wheel for couchbase
Failed to build couchbase
ERROR: Could not build wheels for couchbase which use PEP 517 and cannot be installed directly

Please help .

I’m using pip 21.0.1
Python 3.6.5
I have also tried all the versions which are mentioned above,still facing same error.
Please help me to resolve this.

Hi @Ganesh97 - What version of the Python SDK are you trying? Also, what Operating System are you on? Have you followed the updated docs and have all the prereqs installed?

If you have all the prereqs and reqs installed and still see problems, can you try the following and provide the output. There will be a lot of text in the output log file. To reduce the size, if you search for the text: Building wheels for collected packages: the content in the log file after that line is what is most useful.

python3 -m pip install couchbase --no-cache --force-reinstall --log ./couchbase_install.txt