Need help making the Python SDK on OS X

I am trying to download or make the Python client for Couchbase on OS X 10.11, but I am not succeeding. An attempt to download with pip because libcouchbase/couchbase.h is missing. I tried to install libcouchbase from source, but I get:

cmake ../ \ 
     "-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo" \ 
     "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local" \ 
     "-GUnix Makefiles" \ 
 Can't exec "cmake": No such file or directory at ../cmake/configure line 337.
 Couldn't invoke cmake at ../cmake/configure line 339.

I know what I’m doing in OS X, Python, command-line tools, and everything else this involves.

I can’t install it using brew, as mentioned on one of the web pages, because I use MacPorts for package management not homebrew.

I would really, really appreciate some help here, even if we bounce back and forth with “did you try” kind of posts.

Setting up Homebrew is pretty important for every developer on the Mac. I’m not sure about the state of MacPorts, but I don’t think it’s as up to date as homebrew.

In any event, if you want to install libcouchbase from source, you will need to install cmake. You can install it either via MacPorts (i’m not sure if a port exists, but considering it’s a very popular build system, I can’t see why not) or download a binary CMake version directly from https://cmake.org/download/

That being said, the ideal configuration is a binary from homebrew together with a Python obtained from Homebrew as well.

Thanks. That was the problem.

I misread the error message. I thought I had cmake on my system, but I recently upgraded from 11.8 to 11.11 and am still catching up on my installation of applications and Linux software.

Then I also had to install libev or libevent . Finally it compiled and I was able to install it.

I’ve never had any trouble with MacPorts, and I’ve installed a lot of software from it, so I never had any reason to look into homebrew.