Invalid Java code in Android docs

In the Android docs, the example code in the Fleece data encoding section won’t compile:

Map<String, Object> doc = collection.getDocument(someDoc.getId()).toMap();
Long testVal = Long.valueOf(doc.get(“test”))

(Besides the missing semicolon), Long.valueOf() requires either a String or long, where doc.get("test") is an Object, which would need to be explicitly cast to one of these types first. It’s not actually clear what this code is demonstrating.

I don’t see a similar section in the Java or other SDK docs.

Similarly under Checking a Document’s Properties, there’s a

Note: Fleece data encoding

Care should be taken when storing and recovering data in a document or converting that document to JSON and back.
Data encoding (Fleece) can result in Long values being converted to Float instead of Double.
Interpreting data as boolean can also give inconsistent results.

This section is only in the Android docs.

Referred to docs. We’ll fix this. Many thanks for pointing it out.

Here’s another one, under Document Initializers:

{url-api-method-collection-getdocument}

Assuming this should link to Collection.getDocument().

collection.save(doc) was left out of the Kotlin code in example 8.

Also log() isn’t a known function, maybe should be Log.i() or println().

I believe the toArray method referenced here should instead be toList() for the Java SDK. It also says “see Example 4”, instead of the correct Example 12.

It also references Example 4 instead of 12 here:

• Initialize a ‘MutableArrayObject’ using data supplied as a JSON string. This is done using the init(json) constructor — see: Example 4

Also, references to ArrayObject and MutableArrayObject are not correct for the Java SDK, where these objects are just called Array and MutableArray.

There’s also not an ArrayFragment API in the Java SDK and I don’t understand what this means in relation to the SDKs that do have the subscript fragment API:

Convert an ArrayFragment object to a JSON String

Similar issue with the Dictionary documentation referencing toDictionary instead of toMap() and using DictionaryObject and MutableDictionaryObject instead of Dictionary and MutableDictionary.

ArrayFunction links are broken here.

The code for Example 14. Using a Parameter seems to be Swift? (except it uses semicolons :thinking:) The code block says it’s Java. Anyway, the same code is used in all the SDKs’ docs and I don’t even think the API is correct, as Query is an interface. I believe the Kotlin code should be:

val query = database.createQuery("SELECT name WHERE department = \$department")
query.parameters = Parameters().setValue("department", "E001")
val result = query.execute()

Also, oddly there’s another section for Query Parameters at the very bottom that does have a correct example. Maybe these sections should be combined?

There are a lot of examples throughout the docs where the formatted single (‘’) and double quote (“”) characters are used within code blocks, instead of the proper ’ and " characters, for example under the string literal syntax and example. This makes it difficult to copy/paste these code samples, and can be confusing to a user when it doesn’t work, with a potentially strange syntax error. I’m sure the intention was to use these characters properly in non-code text, but may have leaked into the code block text as well.

Another likely auto-formatting issue in Table 3. Comparison Operators, where <= became in v1⇐X+z.

Also, what is X+z here? Shouldn’t v1 BETWEEN X and Y be expressed as v1>=X and v1<=Y?

The unary operator - is displayed as + in this table.

Also, I don’t understand the syntax // UNARY_OP _ expr. What do the // and _ mean?

In the QueryBuilder Differences table, I believe “Match Functions DIV IDIV ROUND_EVEN” is meant to be its own row, rather than bundled with Conditional Functions components, and should be “Math Functions”.

You are having a regular old good time, aren’t you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Seriously, I cannot thank you enough for your close reading of this stuff. The docs team is on it.

WRT:

Map<String, Object> doc = collection.getDocument(someDoc.getId()).toMap();
Long testVal = Long.valueOf(doc.get(“test”))

… the point (entirely missed by the sample code) is that even if you store a Long at key “text”, if you don’t explicitly ask to get a Long back, you may get an Int: Fleece loses the type information and uses the smallest representation that doesn’t lose accuracy.

Haha, yes, going through the docs with a fined tooth comb! I’ve been working on getting some docs put together for my Kotlin Multiplatform CBL library. It’s a good opportunity to fill in my Couchbase and SQL++ knowledge reading the CBL docs in full along the way. :grin:

I was thinking this might be what was trying to be communicated. So something along these lines:

val doc: Map<String, Any?> = collection.getDocument(someDoc.getId()).toMap()
// "test" value may be an Int, even if originally set as a Long
val testVal: Long? = (doc.get("test") as? Number)?.toLong()

By the way, I should be close to releasing my library, now that these changes are soon to be available in a public release!

In the SQL++ Differences table it has:

Feature SQL++ for Couchbase Server SQL++ for Mobile
LIMIT l OFFSET o Allows OFFSET without LIMIT Allows OFFSET without LIMIT

What exactly is the difference this is expressing?

The live query Flow example is missing.

NEAR Queries has a few typos/missing/extraneous words:

… documents that contain a two or more nominated …

… the keyword “NEAR” between two phrases, tokens or token prefix queries.

… an operator of the form “NEAR/?” may be used, where ? is the maximum number …

Many of the links are broken in the Operating System SDK Support compatibility table.

I can take this one. It means that while on server when you use OFFSET, you must have a LIMIT clause as well, you can use OFFSET alone in SQL++ on mobile.

Note to doc team: 2.7 and under (and soon 2.8) will need to link to the archive docs instead since they are (or will be) out of support.