Indexer warnings on a dropped bucket

Just noticed /opt/couchbase/var/lib/couchbase/logs/indexer.log is full of noise like this

2023-10-20T06:56:33.804+00:00 [Warn] handleBucketInfoChanges: ignoring ForceUpdateNotification as bucket is not found bucket travel-sample
2023-10-20T06:56:33.805+00:00 [Warn] handleCollectionManifestChanges: ignoring ForceUpdateNotification as bucket is not found bucket travel-sample

This happened after I dropped the travel sample bucket. The aren’t actively harmful but do you have any suggestions on how to suppress them or clean up the log files? I’d like to make sure only relevant data is logged to streamline my troubleshooting process.

or clean up the log files?

When I’m looking at log files for troubleshooting, I filter out unwanted lines with egrep -v ‘string1|string2|…’

I’ve been using Linux since 2.4, have some familiarity with the command line interface.

Rather, I was looking for advice on ensuring the indexer completely ignores dropped buckets. Or is it standard behavior for it to recall every bucket ever created throughout the cluster’s history?

They are logged at a warning level; the only way to not have them logged is to change the logging level to Error, Fatal or Silent, none of which we’d recommend.

The suggestion to simply filter the messages according to your needs when examining the logs is so that at least the typical messages are still logged should they be needed. It is simpler to filter like this than run into an issue and then not have the necessary logging data to resolve it.

You could consider archiving the log before and after known events so as to eliminate the associated messages too, if it simplifies things for you.

HTH.

I get just two 'ignoring ForceUpdateNotifications" when I delete a bucket that has indexes. I do not see messages after that.

% grep ForceUpdateNotification indexer.log

2023-10-23T12:08:51.868-07:00 [Warn] handleBucketInfoChanges: ignoring ForceUpdateNotification as bucket is not found bucket 63273387-6ac6-42d7-8694-4c108af3b1bd

2023-10-23T12:08:51.868-07:00 [Warn] handleBucketInfoChanges: ignoring ForceUpdateNotification as bucket is not found bucket 63273387-6ac6-42d7-8694-4c108af3b1bd

2023-10-23T12:29:49.601-07:00 [Warn] handleBucketInfoChanges: ignoring ForceUpdateNotification as bucket is not found bucket travel-sample

2023-10-23T12:29:49.601-07:00 [Warn] handleBucketInfoChanges: ignoring ForceUpdateNotification as bucket is not found bucket travel-sample

But I do get a lot of other messages when I create and drop a bucket…

% grep travel-sample indexer.log | egrep -o ‘Warn|Error|Info’ | sort | uniq -c
94 Error
4046 Info
399 Warn

I even re-created the travel sample bucket and removed its indices one by one but once I dropped the bucket again, the warnings came back

I guess I’ll just ignore them as you suggested

@kai-abc - I did find an issue about the indexer logging and maybe it was changed in a later version(?) What version do you have? Can you open an issue at issues.couchbase.com for this? You might be able to get a better answer there.

Posted this: Loading...

I’m using the latest Community Docker image 7.2.2, I clarified the version in my JIRA ticket.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.