Do we have any way to bypass authentication to connect to couchbase?

I am trying to connect to already built Couchbase server, but I do not have user details to connect to the server.
Do we have an option like ‘No authentication’ that we have for mongodb or is there a way to bypass authentication to connect to Couchbase

Hi @sagarkvs,

I don’t think we have an option like that, at least not for a few versions now. I’m curious though, why would you want to expose your data to the public?

1 Like

We have in bound rules setup at the network side to prevent unauthorized access to the servers, was just curious whether do we have any way to gain admin access if we loose it by accident.

@sagarkvs, As @matthew.groves mentioned since Couchbase Server 4.5 authenticate is required to access a bucket . Creating a user is a simple task and the amount of access they have can be controlled the documentation covers this well.

We have in bound rules setup at the network side to prevent unauthorized access to the servers

It’s best to tackle security with multiple layers, using a firewall it just one layer and using an authenticate user adds another level. Security is an important topic to Couchbase.

We have any way to gain admin access if we loose it by accident.

If the Admin password is forgotten it can be reset using couchbase-cli reset-admin-password more details are in the documentation. This has to be executed on a node with a user with the correct access, normally root.

2 Likes

Thank you @matthew.groves and @pvarley …for the clarification…I agree with you on considering the world of security.