Couchbase 7.6.1 Doesn't Start on Windows 2022

Hi,

I installed couchbase 7.6.1 on windows 2022 server machine with an admin. windows user. The installation was successful. All good.

I need to run the couchbase with a no-admin user. To do that I created a local windows user called couchbase-user with no admin permission, then I stopped the CouchbaseServer windows service, changed the CouchbaseServer user to couchbase-user, then I started the CouchbaseServer service.

The service fails to start! I get the following error messages in the application event viewer:

Faulting application name: sigar_port.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6604c372
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.20348.1, time stamp: 0xdacb234c
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000007ca9e
Faulting process id: 0x178
Faulting application start time: 0x01da8b3f05f2679b
Faulting application path: c:\Program Files\Couchbase\Server\bin\sigar_port.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 155d64e1-2253-4cf9-927b-a3e643a4d32f
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any chance to make couchbase run with a no-admin user?

Regards,
Faris Ahmed

It’s a limitation - Install Couchbase Server on Windows | Couchbase Docs

I didn’t find any reference to this limitation in the provided link above. In the link above it is only mentioned that admin permissions are needed for the installation, that is fine.

The documentation doesn’t mention the required permissions for the user that runs the CouchbaseServer windows service.

What are the reasons(s) for this limitation? up to version 6.6 couchbase was running fine with no-admin user.

This limitation is causing severe security issues in my company! it is impossible to run a product with admin rights in production, no one can justify that to our security officers.

I hope couchbase fixes this issue in the near future

The documentation needs to be updated to state that it must also be run by the same user that installed it. There is an (internal) ticket CBSE-13174 that discusses it. It does not give a reason.

I opened a ticket to make that clear in the documenation - Loading...