Can I change the name of the collection?

Hello,

Is it possible to change the name of the collection?
I want to change the Collection connected to an existing application. I would like to switch to a new Collection by creating a new Collection and then renaming that Collection to the name I am using now.

Thanks,

Hi @ryosek , unfortunately it is not possible to rename a collection once it has been created. You could do it in a few steps, but maybe it would be helpful to understand a bit more about what you’re trying to achieve?

Hello @perry, thank you for answering!
I have an application that allows users to browse the data in the “product._default.record” collection.
This time, I want to change the user_id stored in “product._default.record” from a string to a number.

Therefore, I decided to create a new collection “product._default.new_record” and test that the user_id is successfully changed to a number.
Then, by renaming “product._default.record” to “product._default.old_record” and “product._default.new_record” to “product._default.record”, the app can connect to the new_record collection.

I want to change the user_id stored in “product._default.record” from a string to a number.

You could just update it in place.

update default:product._default.record set user_id=tonumber(user_id) where regexp_matches(user_id, ‘[0-9]{1,}’)

Or you could upsert from your new_record collection using insert-select UPSERT | Couchbase Docs

However, your application might be unhappy that the user_id is a number instead of a string.

1 Like

This can give ids not able to convert to number

SELECT META(c).id 
FROM mycollection AS c
WHERE tonumber(user_id) IS NULL;

you can store both in same collection and while doing predicate match TO_STR() on both sides
If string NO-OP, number converts to string. (Same as CAST)

WHERE TO_STR(user_id) = TO_STR($user_id)
Also change index.

OR

INSERT INTO old_record( KEY k , VALUE v)
SELECT META(v).id  AS k,  v
FROM record AS v

DELETE FROM record WHERE tonumber(user_id) IS NULL;

UPDATE record AS r 
SET user_id = to_number(user_id)
WHERE tonumber(user_id) IS NOT NULL;

EE, checkout eventing also Examples: Using the Eventing Service | Couchbase Docs

2 Likes

@mreiche
Thank you for your reply!
I want to try other table operations on the copied table, so I want to keep a copy.

However, your application might be unhappy that the user_id is a number instead of a string

Why do you think this is unfortunate? The user_id is an auto-incrementing number created by another system, but is currently being imported as a string by mistake, so I am going to change it to a number.

@vsr1
Thank you for your reply!
I could copy table with the query like below.

INSERT INTO product._default.old_record (KEY META(k).id, VALUE k)
SELECT _record AS k
FROM product._default.record AS _record

I will read the docs as well. Thanks for sharing!

@ryosek ,

In json number 10 and string “10” are different because value represents actual value and type of value
Say document has {“user_id”:10}
WHERE user_id = “10” will not match unless you do TOSTR(user_id) = “10”
I think what @mreiche meant means you might need to change application to reflect this (predicate/ projected values expected string and now changed number)

Correction to your query META(k).id in INSERT part not available , you need to project via SELECT

INSERT INTO product._default.old_record (KEY docid, VALUE k)
SELECT _record AS k, META().id AS docid
FROM product._default.record AS _record
1 Like

@vsr1
I see.
In terms of performance, usability, etc., is it better to keep every value as a string in Couchbase?
I thought it would be a bit redundant to put in to_number() every time I run a query like sort or between.

And thank you for correcting query. This query worked!

normally user_id will be string. If you have number that is fine too.
Any language number is faster vs string due to storage , comparison

1 Like

@vsr1
Sorry for the confusion about the user ID.
And thanks for commenting on performance question!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.