Can Couchbase Lite 2.0 sync with CouchDB without Sync Gateway

Are there plans to stop support for replicating Couchbase Lite data with CouchDB?

We have mobile apps both on iOS and Android which rely on Couchbase Lite 1.3. We are planning to upgrade to Couchbae Lite 2.0. But latest release mentions that the version is not compatible with CouchDB.

What course of action is suggested to migrate to 2.0 while keeping the replication with CouchDB? Or we should start using Couchbase.

You should start using Couchbase (or alternatively you could start a community effort to write a sync layer to contribute back to the open source project). CouchDB is not a Couchbase product and our protocol has been enhanced in ways that are no longer compatible.

@borrrden can you guide me to the right resources to develop drivers for Couchbase

You can use Couchbase Sync Gateway 2.0 (w/ Couchbase server backing store) with PouchDB enabled web clients and Couchbase Lite 2.0 enabled mobile clients. Sync Gateway 2.0 supports both 2.0 version of replication protocol (that couchbase lite 2.0 clients use) as well as the older CouchDB compatible protocol.

But as Jim pointed out , you cannot use Couchbase Lite 2.0 mobile clients with Couch DB because the new protocol is incompatible.

Hi, @priya.rajagopal ,

So if we are using Couchbase lite 2.0 and Sync gateway 2.0 then we can replicate data from mobile client to CouchDB Right ?

Thanks in Advance.

No, Couchbase Lite 2.x cannot sync with CouchDB. Couchbase Lite 2.x, as well as PouchDB, can sync with Couchbase Server database via Sync Gateway 2.x though.

Thanks @jeff.lockhart . So is there a way to sync my CouchBaselite mobile database to CouchDB by anyhow?

Only with Couchbase Lite 1.x, as far as I understand. As described above, someone could technically write the code required to translate the Couchbase Lite 2.x sync protocol to CouchDB’s older sync protocol, used by Couchbase Lite 1.x. Otherwise, this is not currently possible. The recommendation is to move from CouchDB to Couchbase Server or not use Couchbase Lite 2.x.

As alluded to by Jeff, the only backing store that is supported by sync gateway today is couchbase server. Is there a reason you are not considering Couchbase server?