Rack Awareness Questions

Hello Everyone,

I am currently testing Enterprise features in couchbase. The feature I am testing today is Rack Awareness.

I have 3 nodes and have deployed the Travel Sample. See below, distribution of the data is weird. It seems like Rack Aware is not working.

Server Node Name Group Services Data/Disk Usage Items (Active / Replica)
10.50.51.36 us-east-1a Data 22.5MB / 36.4MB 10.4 K/ 10.5 K
10.50.51.37 us-east-1b Data 22.7MB / 36.6MB 10.5 K/ 10.5 K
10.50.52.20 us-east-1b Data 22.7MB / 36.7MB 10.5 K/10.4 K

Since 2 nodes are on the same group, don’t replicas from us-east-1b all go in group us-east-1a? I was in the impression that in the above scenario, I should have more data on node in group us-east-1a.

Here is the number of item in the travel bucket:
SELECT count(*) FROM travel-sample ;

[
{
"$1": 31591
}
]

I simulated an outage, and failed over the 2 nodes in group us-east-1b.
Here is the number of items in the bucket.

[
{
"$1": 21090
}
]
Data was lost.

So I decided to add another node in group us-east-1a so I have an even number of nodes in each group. In this case, data is properly distributed.

I then shutdown both Nodes in us-east-1a. And no data was loss. Which is a good thing.

Questions:
Does Rack Awareness requires an even number of nodes total?
Or does Rack Awareness requires same number of nodes per group?
Or both of the above?
If yes to any of the above questions, is it mentioned in couchbase documentation? If so, can you please share the link? I would very much like to help contribute to couchbase documentation, is mentioning this in the forum enough? Or I need to go somewhere else?

I got the following warning when I click on the fail Over button:
“Attention – There are not replica (backup) copies of all data on this node! Failing over the node now will irrecoverably lose that data when the incomplete replica is activated and this node is removed from the cluster. If the node might come back online, it is recommended to wait. Check this box if you want to failover the node, despite the resulting data loss”

But in my even example above, no data lost happen, I had all my rows in my bucket:

SELECT count(*) FROM travel-sample ;

[
{
"$1": 31591
}
]

Does the failover warning takes into account a Rack Aware failover scenario where there is no data loss possible?
I am asking this because if I am in a middle of a maintenance in production and everything was done correctly and I receive this error message, the paranoia will start to kick in.

Thanks,

Steeve

Very briefly, you need to perform a rebalance if you change the Rack/Zone nodes are assigned to, so ensure that active and replica data is distributed correctly.

The case above was made the following way.
I create the couchbase cluster, assign the groups.
All nodes are empty as this is a fresh new installed cluster.
I then install the travel sample.

I then get the following distribution.

Server Node Name Group Services Data/Disk Usage Items (Active / Replica)
10.50.51.36 us-east-1a Data 22.5MB / 36.4MB 10.4 K/ 10.5 K
10.50.51.37 us-east-1b Data 22.7MB / 36.6MB 10.5 K/ 10.5 K
10.50.52.20 us-east-1b Data 22.7MB / 36.7MB 10.5 K/10.4 K

You still need to rebalance - until you do the original vBucket assignment (1/3 for each of the 3 nodes) will apply. If you still see the problem after rebalancing please give an update.

Rebalance was done after I added all my nodes to my cluster. I have 3 nodes. No buckets created, it is a brand new cluster. I then install the travel sample. That is when I have the issue I describe above. I can reproduce the problem every time. All you need to do is this.
Setup a 3 node cluster with the following config:
node 1: group 1
node 2: group 1
node 3: group 2
You then install the travel sample. You will then have the problem I described above.

-Steeve

Ok, thanks for clarifying your setup. So I think your basic issue is your number of nodes is not a multiple of the Rack/Zone count.

Irrespective of RSA, Couchbase will always attempt to put the same number of vBuckets (i.e. same percentage of the dataset) on each node. As you have 3 nodes, it’ll try to put 1/3 of the active vBuckets on each node. Similary, it will put 1/3 of the replica vbuckets on each node. It cannot keep equal shares of data on each node with two zones (and note that replica vBuckets must be assigned to a different node than the active vBucket), hence when you attempt to kill 2 nodes you’ll loose your data.

I suggest you change to a multiple of your zones (say 4 nodes) and repeat your experiments.

I did try 4 nodes, it was mentioned in my original post. it works. But because of that I had a series of questions.

Questions:
Does Rack Awareness requires an even number of nodes total?
Or does Rack Awareness requires same number of nodes per group?
Or both of the above?
If yes to any of the above questions, is it mentioned in couchbase documentation? If so, can you please share the link? I would very much like to help contribute to couchbase documentation, is mentioning this in the forum enough? Or I need to go somewhere else?

I got the following warning when I click on the fail Over button:
“Attention – There are not replica (backup) copies of all data on this node! Failing over the node now will irrecoverably lose that data when the incomplete replica is activated and this node is removed from the cluster. If the node might come back online, it is recommended to wait. Check this box if you want to failover the node, despite the resulting data loss”

Does the failover warning takes into account a Rack Aware failover scenario where there is no data loss possible?
I am asking this because if I am in a middle of a maintenance in production and everything was done correctly and I receive this error message, the paranoia will start to kick in.