Point in time restore

Hi All,

One query which I couldn’t figure out is follows…

Is there any option of Point in Time recovery on Couchbase.

If there is any disaster at 10th minute post to my last periodic backup, only solution I see is to restore from latest backup snapshot, but how about the last 10 minutes data which is not part of last snapshot ?

Am I loosing it completely or Is there any option to restore that as well ?

Thanks!!

Hi,

As far as I know, Point-in-time recovery is not fully supported yet and it is planned to be released soon, but you can still rollback to a specific day using the parameter --to-date (https://developer.couchbase.com/documentation/server/current/cli/cbrestore-tool.html#cdbrestore-tool)

You can also use XDCR to create a hot standby cluster and redirect the traffic to it in case something bad happens.

This post is a year old and I’m wondering if there has been any progress with Point-in-Time recovery?

any progress on this … @deniswsrosa

Hi Deni,
can you update on this ?

looks like tentatively by 2020 they get this in production. As of this feature is not in existence.

Its disappointing to see PIT recovery feature is not yet introduced, even with version 6.5.

1 Like

Hi All,

Point in time for couchbase is possible if you are using third party tools like Talena for backup of couchbase.

1 Like

–point-in-time is there as beta in latest version. Let’s not config it until this is a feature of couchbase official version not like beta. We can use this in lower env. And learn and understand how it works.
Make sure we need to enable this couchbase backup process has to trace each and every mutation in transaction logs or any heap cache after every full backup or incremental backups. For that we need to configure our cluster.
This might slightly impact your cluster performance if you don’t have special backup nodes in your cluster. This I’m talking cb v7.1.3.
I’m still exploring that option how to enable where I need to do configuration. *
Note: we need to add —point-in-time configure option while creating repository using cbbkpmger config
(BETA) This enables Point in Time feature. Which is currently in Beta and is not supported, this should only be used in test environments. When it’s enabled cbbackupmgr will get historical data from the cluster. This will allow restoring to a single point in time. This will increase the amount of space needed to store the backup. The cluster also has to have Point In Time configured to use this feature.