Dpkg: error processing archive couchbase-release-1.0-4-amd64.deb (--install):

Hello,
i’m trying to install Couchbase server on a virtual machine (virtual box) running
Ubuntu Server 18.04 (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-23-generic x86_64).
Following this guide, if i run

sudo dpkg -i couchbase-release-1.0-4-amd64.deb

console shows me:

(Reading database ... 103765 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack couchbase-release-1.0-4-amd64.deb ...
Supported platforms are: Debian/wheezy,jessie and Ubuntu/lucid,precise,trusty,xenial

dpkg: error processing archive couchbase-release-1.0-4-amd64.deb (--install):
 new couchbase-release package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 couchbase-release-1.0-4-amd64.deb

What am i missing?
I’ve already tried the docker solution and it worked, and now i would like to install permanently because i’d like to test it in “production mode”.

NB: i checked out this topic, and it seemed having the same problem. I checked systemd, and it’s on pid 1, so it should’t be that.

Thank you in advance

The problem is that the couchbase-release package checks the distribution on install to ensure it matches the supported platforms, and Bionic (Ubuntu 18.04) isn’t a supported platform yet.

1 Like

No, distribution is not a problem there is also the same issue on Ubuntu Xenial and Trusty

Hmm. Can you check to see if the ‘lsb-release’ package is installed on your system? The couchbase-release package depends on the lsb_release command which is provided by that package.

1 Like

lsb-release is installed and Im getting the same error all the time, checked Mint 18 and Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial

Mint 18 is not a supported distro either. It should definitely work on Ubuntu 16.04 however. I’ve verified it working in an Ubuntu 16 Docker container so long as lsb-release is installed.

Can you tell me the output of “lsb_release -a” on your Ubuntu 16 system?

1 Like

Thanks for replay, I managed to install it. The solution was to change distrocode for Xenial Xenial in lsb_release. It works now both on Mint 19 and Ubuntu 18.04

2 Likes

Glad you’re unstuck!

The issue is still not resolved.
However this table shows that Ubuntu 18.04 is supported.
Does CB support ubuntu 18.04 or not?

There is a newer version of the couchbase-release.deb file: packages.couchbase.com/releases/couchbase-release/couchbase-release-1.0-6-amd64.deb

That should include support for Bionic.
It appears our installation documentation hasn’t been updated and still references the 1.0-4 couchbase-release package. I’ve filed a ticket to get that updated.

1 Like

Im running into this same issue/error with couchbase-release-1.0-6-amd64.deb . Im running 18.04 . Any ideas?

On Ubuntu 18.04, 1.0-6 should definitely work. I just tried it in a local Docker container. You do need to have the lsb-release package installed as mentioned earlier.

Can you cut/paste the command you’re running and the error it produces? And to verify, what is the output of “lsb_release -a” ?

This is what I get:

localadmin@prod-couchbase04:~ sudo curl -O https://packages.couchbase.com/releases/couchbase-release-1.0-6-amd64.deb % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed 100 313 0 313 0 0 6260 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 6260 localadmin@prod-couchbase04:~ sudo dpkg -i ./couchbase-release-1.0-6-amd64.deb
dpkg-deb: error: ‘./couchbase-release-1.0-6-amd64.deb’ is not a Debian format archive
dpkg: error processing archive ./couchbase-release-1.0-6-amd64.deb (–install):
dpkg-deb --control subprocess returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
./couchbase-release-1.0-6-amd64.deb
localadmin@prod-couchbase04:~$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version: core-9.20170808ubuntu1-noarch:security-9.20170808ubuntu1-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic

I got this figured out, thanks for your time.

It appears your first download was corrupted. Glad you got it worked out.