Document Revision History: how to share properties between users from all saved revisions?

Hi, I’m creating a Java App that has embedded a Couchbase Lite instance and that it’s connecting to Sync Gateway between different users and persisting its data through Couchbase Server.

I have achieved to solve conflicts between different users without any problem but now I’m trying to develop like a register history that each user can check all the values that a registry had on some moment and recover to that state if they want. The problem that I’m having is that when I’m trying to access to the properties of a revision that has been created by another user (with another instance of Couchbase Lite), I’m getting an exception that properties are not available and I want to know if it’s a common issue because system works like this and the revisions properties are not shared between different instances or I’m doing something wrong…

Anyone can help me?

I don’t know if I have explained me properly, if not tell me. Thanks!

when I’m trying to access to the properties of a revision that has been created by another user (with another instance of Couchbase Lite), I’m getting an exception that properties are not available

That’s correct. Couchbase Lite is not a version-control system like Git. The replicator transfers the current revision of a document, and some small metadata about previous revisions (to help resolve conflicts), but it never transfers older revision bodies. Even the local database only keeps older revision bodies for a limited time; in 1.x it’s until you explicitly compact the database, but in version 2 they get pruned earlier.

Thanks for your answer @jens! I imagined that…

At the end I started developing a custom solution for me with version-control system to be able to have an historic of the different entries of the database!