Couchbase cluster stuck after node failure

Hello,
today one of the servers in a small cluster we have incurred a hardware failure. The cluster had 4 nodes, running only ‘memcache’ type buckets. Version 4.1.1-5914 Community Edition (build-5914).

We fixed the server (required a full re-install), but now we are stuck in a situation where the cluster lists the old server as “pending rebalance”, and won’t come out of that state.

I tried (from the CLI) server-remove -force, it says “unable to rebalance cluster (400) Bad Request {“deltaRecoveryNotPossible”:1}” . If I try a rebalance command, it replies with the same error. I tried setting the recovery type to full, but it did not help.

Any idea how I can evict for good that node and rebalance the remaining three? As I mentioned all buckets are all memcached, there is very little data to rebalance, per se.

Many thanks.

You should be able to Failover the dead node on the UI (use hard failover), then add the new one in and Rebalance.

Yes, thanks for the reply. It worked, eventually. I had to ‘cancel’ the rebalance via CLI, then do a rebalance again to remove the node. Not terribly intuitive.
Thanks again.