Couchbase Announces Membase Server for Mac OS X
April 04, 2011
Simple, fast, elastic NoSQL database now available for Mac OS developers
Mountain View, Calif. – April 4, 2011 – Couchbase, the NoSQL database company created through the recent merger of CouchOne and Membase, today announced it has released Membase Server for Mac OS X. Part of the Couchbase family of NoSQL database products, Membase Server, designed and optimized for the data management needs of interactive web applications, now provides a developer-friendly interface to better serve Mac-centric, web-focused developers.
- Membase Server for Mac OS X, a community edition released today, provides developer-friendly features that integrate seamlessly and take full advantage of the operating system, making it even easier for Mac users to develop scalable web applications against Membase Server.
- Applications built with Membase Server for Mac OS X can be seamlessly deployed on the production platform of choice; Membase Server currently supports Windows as well as Red Hat and Ubuntu Linux.
- Membase open source technology provides a distributed key-value database with integrated memcached caching technology, enabling dynamic cluster elasticity and sustained low-latency, high-throughput data operations. Its core technology powers 18 of the top 20 largest websites; and few web applications now enter production without it. Organizations such as Zynga and ShareThis use Membase to dramatically lower data management costs while improving the scalability and performance of their demanding interactive web applications.
- “Membase Server for Mac OS X is easy as one-two-free. You download it. You run it. There’s no installation and it behaves exactly the way a Mac developer would expect.” – Dustin Sallings, Couchbase chief architect and the primary guy behind the Mac OS X release
- “Couchbase continues to invest in making things easier for developers to build scalable, high-throughput web applications. Together with today’s release of Membase Server for Mac OS X, we have also refreshed Couchbase Server for Mac OS X (our distribution of Apache CouchDB), providing the same level of OS integration and user-friendly look and feel. We look forward to continuing to provide the community with products that work the way developers do.” – Frank Weigel, Couchbase director of product management
- “We’ve been compiling source to run Membase on Mac OS X, but compiling is less-than-convenient and in the end the software didn’t look and feel like a native Mac application. It’s awesome to have a packaged Membase binary that does all that right out of the box, saving us time and making Membase Server an even better NoSQL database choice for developers.” – Jon Prall, VP of Ops, Tango
Additional Online Resources
- Download Membase Server for Mac OS X
- Download Couchbase Server for Mac OS X (Couchbase’s distribution of Apache CouchDB)
- Screen shots: Membase Server for Mac OS X and Couchbase Server for Mac OS X
- Download the Membase Server technical white paper
- Follow @couchbase on Twitter
About Membase Server
A part of the Couchbase product family, Membase Server is the industry’s lowest latency, highest throughput NoSQL database. A distributed key-value data store, Membase Server is designed and optimized for the data management needs of interactive web applications. It allows the database layer to scale out just like the web application logic tier – simply by adding more commodity servers.
Couchbase's mission is to be the data platform that revolutionizes digital innovation. To make this possible, Couchbase created the world's first Engagement Database to help deliver ever-richer and ever more personalized customer and employee experiences. Built with the most powerful NoSQL technology, the Couchbase Data Platform was architected on top of an open source foundation for the massively interactive enterprise. Our geo-distributed Engagement Database provides unmatched developer agility and manageability, as well as unparalleled performance at any scale, from any cloud to the edge.
Couchbase has become pervasive in our everyday lives; our customers include industry leaders Amadeus, AT&T, BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company), Carrefour, Cisco, Comcast, Disney, DreamWorks Animation, eBay, Marriott, Neiman Marcus, Tesco, Tommy Hilfiger, United, Verizon, Wells Fargo, as well as hundreds of other household names. For more information, visit www.couchbase.com.
Couchbase in news and press
How can we help you?
All fields must be filled out unless marked (optional)