Couchbase Appoints Industry Veteran Ian Howells as Chief Marketing Officer
August 29, 2013
Howells brings combination of enterprise and open source marketing expertise to NoSQL leader
Mountain View, Calif. – August 29, 2013 – Couchbase, a leader in NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project, today announced the appointment of Ian Howells as chief marketing officer (CMO). With over twenty years of experience in technology product management and marketing, Howells joins Couchbase at a time when the company is rapidly enhancing its product development and global investment to align with the projected multi-billion dollar NoSQL industry.
- A technologist and serial entrepreneur, Howells has previously held senior marketing roles at Documentum through its IPO, SeeBeyond through its IPO and acquisition by Sun, as well Alfresco and StorSimple, acquired by Microsoft.
- Howells earned his Ph.D. in distributed database systems from University College Cardiff and has published a number of papers and contributed to books on related topics. He also previously penned the blog, “Open Source Hearts and Minds” for Computerworld.
- Couchbase recently announced its latest round of funding – a Series D of $25 million led by Adams Street Partners – bringing its total amount raised to $55 million.
- Couchbase will host its third annual San Francisco user conference – Couchbase [SF] – on September 13, 2013, with presentations from customers including PayPal, McGraw-Hill, Nielsen, Orbitz and LivePerson.
- “Couchbase has experienced more than 400% in sales growth over the course of 2013,” said Bob Wiederhold, CEO of Couchbase. “As enterprises rapidly adopt NoSQL, Ian’s experience in the industry and proven track record will play a large role in Couchbase’s expansion into new markets across the globe.”
- “As a market-leading NoSQL provider, Couchbase’s vision and technology are reshaping the database industry,” said newly appointed Couchbase CMO Ian Howells. “In joining the team, I look forward to further building Couchbase’s evolving market presence, programs and community.”
Couchbase's mission is to be the data platform that revolutionizes digital innovation. To make this possible, Couchbase created the world's first Engagement Database to help deliver ever-richer and ever more personalized customer and employee experiences. Built with the most powerful NoSQL technology, the Couchbase Data Platform was architected on top of an open source foundation for the massively interactive enterprise. Our geo-distributed Engagement Database provides unmatched developer agility and manageability, as well as unparalleled performance at any scale, from any cloud to the edge.
Couchbase has become pervasive in our everyday lives; our customers include industry leaders Amadeus, AT&T, BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company), Carrefour, Cisco, Comcast, Disney, DreamWorks Animation, eBay, Marriott, Neiman Marcus, Tesco, Tommy Hilfiger, United, Verizon, Wells Fargo, as well as hundreds of other household names. For more information, visit www.couchbase.com.
Couchbase in news and press
How can we help you?
All fields must be filled out unless marked (optional)