Couchbase Announces Availability of Couchbase Server 2.1 NoSQL Document Database
June 26, 2013
Latest Release Further Extends Performance and Scalability Advantages
Mountain View, Calif. – June 26, 2013 – Couchbase, Inc., a leader in NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project, today announced the general availability of Couchbase Server 2.1, the latest release of its NoSQL document-oriented database. Today’s release further strengthens Couchbase’s leadership in scalability, performance, and always-on reliability with new features that improve disk utilization and latency, and augment the product’s rich set of monitoring and management capabilities.
- Couchbase today announced that Couchbase Server 2.1 is generally available, with new features that enhance the product’s consistent high performance, easy scalability, and always-on availability.
- Highlights of the new release include:
- A multi-threaded persistence engine that dramatically improves disk utilization, further expanding the use cases and workloads that Couchbase supports. The newly designed and tunable persistence engine increases resource efficiency for users on both commodity hardware and specialized servers.
- Cross datacenter replication optimizations, resulting in improved latency for data operations across clusters.
- Improved ongoing administration through:
- A completely new Health Check tool, resulting in better diagnostics and monitoring;
- Hostname and IP address management for sys admins, simplifying installation and management of cloud deployments;
- UI enhancements such as progress indicators for rebalance operations, providing in-depth visibility into the ongoing admin tasks via the Couchbase administration console.
- Performance and stability fixes to improve user experience across all supported platforms.
- In conjunction with the 2.1 release, Couchbase also launched today a new user community portal, designed to provide enhanced technical content and serve as a focal point for knowledge sharing among Couchbase users. The portal offers language-specific sections for developers, a section for Couchbase ops/ admins, and a new interactive Q&A application that will replace the existing Couchbase Forums for community-based support.
- “We continue to invest in strengthening and optimizing the core architecture of Couchbase Server, further differentiating us as the NoSQL solution that delivers reliability at scale for customers and users. With Couchbase Server 2.1, our multi-threaded persistence engine provides customers dramatic disk read and write performance, allowing them to extend the scope and scale of their applications.” – Yaseen Rahim, Senior Vice President Products, Couchbase
About Couchbase Server
Couchbase Server NoSQL document-oriented database technology is optimized for the data management needs of interactive web and mobile applications. Web application developers and operators rely on Couchbase Server for:
- Easy Scalability: It’s easy to scale the data tier with Couchbase Server without any interruption or change to an application. With one click of a button, users can expand a cluster up to hundreds of servers, automatically keeping the workload evenly distributed among them.
- Consistent High Performance: With consistent sub-millisecond response time, Couchbase Server helps ensure a positive experience for application users. Couchbase Server’s high throughput means fewer servers are required to serve growing numbers of application users.
- Always-on Availability: Couchbase Server’s high availability features means applications are always online, 24x365. Whether upgrading the database, system software or hardware – or recovering from a disaster – Couchbase Server allows you to do so with zero downtime.
- Flexible Data Model: Couchbase Server leverages a JSON document model, eliminating the need to create and manage schemas, thereby dramatically reducing the complexity and time required when making changes to an application.
Couchbase's mission is to be the data platform that revolutionizes digital innovation. To make this possible, Couchbase created the world's first Engagement Database to help deliver ever-richer and ever more personalized customer and employee experiences. Built with the most powerful NoSQL technology, the Couchbase Data Platform was architected on top of an open source foundation for the massively interactive enterprise. Our geo-distributed Engagement Database provides unmatched developer agility and manageability, as well as unparalleled performance at any scale, from any cloud to the edge.
Couchbase has become pervasive in our everyday lives; our customers include industry leaders Amadeus, AT&T, BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company), Carrefour, Cisco, Comcast, Disney, DreamWorks Animation, eBay, Marriott, Neiman Marcus, Tesco, Tommy Hilfiger, United, Verizon, Wells Fargo, as well as hundreds of other household names. For more information, visit www.couchbase.com.
Couchbase in news and press
How can we help you?
All fields must be filled out unless marked (optional)