Today, we are announcing the general availability of Couchbase Mobile 2.0. Couchbase Mobile extends the Couchbase Data Platform to the edge, securely managing and syncing data, from any cloud to all edge devices.
Why Couchbase Mobile 2.0?
This release makes Couchbase Mobile the most advanced NoSQL mobile data solution in the market. Couchbase Lite, our embedded NoSQL database, has query, indexing, full-text search, on-device replicas, and eventing capabilities. These capabilities address the performance and availability needs of business critical applications which are enabling developers to build better customer experiences across all mobile touch points and fully empower field teams with guaranteed data availability and millisecond response times, irrespective of network connectivity.
Specific features include:
- Simplified APIs: In 2.0, we’ve made something very difficult – threading and concurrency – very easy for developers. Developers can operate on Couchbase Lite objects from different threads without worrying about what other threads are doing to those same objects. With this new simplified API, developers can focus on building applications without a steep learning curve.
- SQL queries: We have significantly reduced the development cost for building apps. The fluent API in Couchbase Lite will let you create SQL queries that are evaluated for correctness during the compile phase.
- Automatic conflict management: Based on feedback we’ve received from our customers, we’ve made conflict resolution automatic. Couchbase Lite 2.0 will detect any conflict and automatically resolve it. This reduces the complexity involved in building distributed apps that share data amongst users and devices.
- Full-text search: Users can perform full-text searches on JSON documents stored in Couchbase Lite. Developers can create highly responsive experiences for business-critical applications that require searching across multiple fields in a JSON document. The API for using full-text search is similar to the query API.
- New replication protocol: Based on WebSockets, the protocol is faster and more efficient, providing a symmetrical approach for client and server. More clients can connect concurrently, and they can synchronize data with lower latencies. The faster speed and lower latency achieved with the new replication protocol help deliver a better, more-responsive user experience. In addition, network error handling is much simpler with the new replication protocol.
- On-device replicas: An on-device replica enables developers to provide data recovery at the edge. It allows a Couchbase Lite replicator to store data on secondary storage that can then be ported to a different device. It’s especially useful in scenarios where a user’s device is damaged and the data needs to be moved to a different device.
- Online Upgrade: Business critical applications can leverage the new upgrade process to move to Sync Gateway 2.0 without causing any service interruption
- Document life cycle management: The ability to set document expiry via the sync function simplifies the document lifecycle management. The ability to configure checkpoint expiry streamlines the management of obsolete checkpoints documents.
- Websocket-based replication: Sync Gateway 2.0 supports both the new replication protocol as well as the previous REST-based replicator, so can support replication by a mix of 1.x and 2.0 clients.
- No conflicts mode:When running in this mode, Sync Gateway will reject any updates that would otherwise create a conflict. Customers can choose not to allow conflicts to be created and stored the Couchbase data platform thereby reducing the overhead associated with storing multiple revisions of a document.
Resources to get you started:
Couchbase Mobile blogs