Couchbase Announces Availability of Couchbase Server 2.1 NoSQL Document Database
Latest Release Further Extends Performance and Scalability Advantages
Mountain View, Calif. – June 26, 2013 – Couchbase, Inc., a leader in NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project, today announced the general availability of Couchbase Server 2.1, the latest release of its NoSQL document-oriented database. Today’s release further strengthens Couchbase’s leadership in scalability, performance, and always-on reliability with new features that improve disk utilization and latency, and augment the product’s rich set of monitoring and management capabilities.
- Couchbase today announced that Couchbase Server 2.1 is generally available, with new features that enhance the product’s consistent high performance, easy scalability, and always-on availability.
Highlights of the new release include:
- A multi-threaded persistence engine that dramatically improves disk utilization, further expanding the use cases and workloads that Couchbase supports. The newly designed and tunable persistence engine increases resource efficiency for users on both commodity hardware and specialized servers.
- Cross datacenter replication optimizations, resulting in improved latency for data operations across clusters.
Improved ongoing administration through:
- A completely new Health Check tool, resulting in better diagnostics and monitoring;
- Hostname and IP address management for sys admins, simplifying installation and management of cloud deployments;
- UI enhancements such as progress indicators for rebalance operations, providing in-depth visibility into the ongoing admin tasks via the Couchbase administration console.
- Performance and stability fixes to improve user experience across all supported platforms.
- In conjunction with the 2.1 release, Couchbase also launched today a new user community portal, designed to provide enhanced technical content and serve as a focal point for knowledge sharing among Couchbase users. The portal offers language-specific sections for developers, a section for Couchbase ops/ admins, and a new interactive Q&A application that will replace the existing Couchbase Forums for community-based support.
- “We continue to invest in strengthening and optimizing the core architecture of Couchbase Server, further differentiating us as the NoSQL solution that delivers reliability at scale for customers and users. With Couchbase Server 2.1, our multi-threaded persistence engine provides customers dramatic disk read and write performance, allowing them to extend the scope and scale of their applications.” – Yaseen Rahim, Senior Vice President Products, Couchbase
- Download Couchbase Server 2.1
- Read the blog on Couchbase Server 2.1
- Explore the new Couchbase user community portal
- Follow @Couchbase on Twitter
- Like Couchbase on Facebook
About Couchbase Server
Couchbase Server NoSQL document-oriented database technology is optimized for the data management needs of interactive web and mobile applications. Web application developers and operators rely on Couchbase Server for:
- Easy Scalability: It’s easy to scale the data tier with Couchbase Server without any interruption or change to an application. With one click of a button, users can expand a cluster up to hundreds of servers, automatically keeping the workload evenly distributed among them.
- Consistent High Performance: With consistent sub-millisecond response time, Couchbase Server helps ensure a positive experience for application users. Couchbase Server’s high throughput means fewer servers are required to serve growing numbers of application users.
- Always-on Availability: Couchbase Server’s high availability features means applications are always online, 24x365. Whether upgrading the database, system software or hardware – or recovering from a disaster – Couchbase Server allows you to do so with zero downtime.
- Flexible Data Model: Couchbase Server leverages a JSON document model, eliminating the need to create and manage schemas, thereby dramatically reducing the complexity and time required when making changes to an application.
Couchbase is a leading provider of NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project. Couchbase Server, the company’s flagship product, is a NoSQL document-oriented database with production deployments at AOL, Cisco, Concur, LinkedIn, Orbitz, Salesforce.com, Shuffle Master, Zynga and hundreds of other household names worldwide. It is particularly well suited for web and mobile applications, providing easy scalability, consistent high performance, 24x365 availability, and a flexible data model for ease of development. Couchbase is headquartered in Silicon Valley, and is funded by Accel Partners, Ignition Partners, Mayfield Fund, and North Bridge Venture Partners.
About Couchbase Open Source Project
The Couchbase Open Source Project is a leading NoSQL database project, with a vibrant community focused on developing distributed database technology that supports both key-value and document-oriented use cases. All Couchbase technology components are available under the Apache 2.0 License, and may also be obtained as packaged software from Couchbase, Inc. in both enterprise and community editions.