Couchbase Appoints Industry Veteran Ian Howells as Chief Marketing Officer
Howells brings combination of enterprise and open source marketing expertise to NoSQL leader
Mountain View, Calif. – August 29, 2013 – Couchbase, a leader in NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project, today announced the appointment of Ian Howells as chief marketing officer (CMO). With over twenty years of experience in technology product management and marketing, Howells joins Couchbase at a time when the company is rapidly enhancing its product development and global investment to align with the projected multi-billion dollar NoSQL industry.
- A technologist and serial entrepreneur, Howells has previously held senior marketing roles at Documentum through its IPO, SeeBeyond through its IPO and acquisition by Sun, as well Alfresco and StorSimple, acquired by Microsoft.
- Howells earned his Ph.D. in distributed database systems from University College Cardiff and has published a number of papers and contributed to books on related topics. He also previously penned the blog, “Open Source Hearts and Minds” for Computerworld.
- Couchbase recently announced its latest round of funding – a Series D of $25 million led by Adams Street Partners – bringing its total amount raised to $55 million.
- Couchbase will host its third annual San Francisco user conference – Couchbase [SF] – on September 13, 2013, with presentations from customers including PayPal, McGraw-Hill, Nielsen, Orbitz and LivePerson.
- “Couchbase has experienced more than 400% in sales growth over the course of 2013,” said Bob Wiederhold, CEO of Couchbase. “As enterprises rapidly adopt NoSQL, Ian’s experience in the industry and proven track record will play a large role in Couchbase’s expansion into new markets across the globe.”
- “As a market-leading NoSQL provider, Couchbase’s vision and technology are reshaping the database industry,” said newly appointed Couchbase CMO Ian Howells. “In joining the team, I look forward to further building Couchbase’s evolving market presence, programs and community.”
- Visit www.couchbase.com
- Download Couchbase Server 2.1
- Follow @Couchbase on Twitter
- Read Bob Wiederhold’s blog about the company and the NoSQL Market
About Couchbase Open Source Project
The Couchbase Open Source Project is a leading NoSQL database project, with a vibrant community focused on developing distributed database technology that supports both key-value and document-oriented use cases. All Couchbase technology components are available under the Apache 2.0 License, and may also be obtained as packaged software from Couchbase, Inc. in both enterprise and community editions.
Couchbase is a leading provider of NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project. Couchbase Server, the company’s flagship product, is a NoSQL document-oriented database with production deployments at AOL, Cisco, Concur, LinkedIn, Orbitz, Salesforce.com, Shuffle Master, Zynga and hundreds of other household names worldwide. It is particularly well suited for web and mobile applications, providing easy scalability, consistent high performance, 24x365 availability, and a flexible data model for ease of development. Couchbase is headquartered in Silicon Valley, and is funded by Accel Partners, Ignition Partners, Mayfield Fund, and North Bridge Venture Partners. www.couchbase.com
LEWIS PR for Couchbase