DOCOMO Chooses Couchbase NoSQL Technology
Couchbase selected to provide NoSQL database infrastructure for mobile service solutions
Mountain View, Calif. – October 18, 2011 –Couchbase, the leading NoSQL database company, today announced a strategic customer relationship with DOCOMO Innovations, Inc. (hereinafter referred to as “DOCOMO”), a U.S.-based arm of parent company NTT DOCOMO, Inc., in which the company will develop and deploy mobile services using Couchbase’s NoSQL database software. Additionally, NTT DOCOMO Capital has made a strategic investment in Couchbase, announced separately today (see Couchbase and NTT Docomo Expand Relationship with Strategic Investment.)
- Couchbase has executed a multi-year licensing and services agreement with DOCOMO encompassing the entire Couchbase NoSQL database product family.
- The breadth of Couchbase NoSQL solutions, with interoperable database offerings spanning from mobile devices to desktops to the cloud, was a key consideration in DOCOMO’s selection process.
- Couchbase real-time data infrastructure provides capabilities essential for DOCOMO’s current mobile services offerings, while DOCOMO’s next-generation service offerings will leverage Couchbase’s unique mobile-to-cloud data synchronization, ensuring mobile device databases are bi-directionally and transparently synchronized whenever network connectivity is available.
DOCOMO selected Couchbase after an extensive investigation to identify a NoSQL vendor having technology that would deliver:
- Elastic scalability from one node to hundreds of nodes;
- A production-ready solution with high-availability;
- Enterprise-class services and support.
- As a strategic customer, DOCOMO will help shape the Couchbase server and mobile product roadmap.
- Dr. Minoru Etoh, Managing Director of Service & Solution Development Department, NTT DOCOMO, Inc.: “Next-generation mobile applications and associated cloud-based services need the performance, scalability, and schemaless flexibility of NoSQL databases. Couchbase stands out among NoSQL players as the best NoSQL database technology, and the only solution that extends from the datacenter to mobile devices. Couchbase’s unique mobile-to-cloud data synchronization is particularly impressive. As a strategic business partner, Couchbase has earned its place in DOCOMO Innovations’ ecosystem of trusted suppliers for mobile service solutions.”
- Bob Wiederhold, CEO, Couchbase: “Consumers and workers are increasingly accessing applications and content through mobile devices connected to cloud-based services. DOCOMO Innovations is at the forefront of developing innovative applications based on this paradigm, and we are thrilled to have them as our partner as we deliver great NoSQL database solutions focused on this opportunity.”
- Learn more about Couchbase NoSQL solutions
- Download Couchbase NoSQL database products
- Follow @Couchbase on Twitter
- Read Bob Wiederhold’s blog comments on today’s announcement
- Join the CouchConf World Tour
About DOCOMO Innovations
DOCOMO Innovations, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiaryof NTT DOCOMO USA, Inc., the U.S. holding company for Japan’s NTT DOCOMO, Inc., a world leader in mobile operations and a growing provider of comprehensive services centered on mobility. In August 1, 2011, DOCOMO Innovations was launched with an expanded mission for Open Innovation as an outgrowth of the last 10 years of cutting-edge technological research conducted at DOCOMO Communications Laboratories USA, Inc., DOCOMO Innovations aims to realize new applications and services for the next generation of mobile services and beyond through collaboration. DOCOMO Innovations provides vital innovations that enable the future growth of NTT DOCOMO, Inc. in the Japanese and Global Markets. Please visit www.docomoinnovations.com for more information.
Couchbase is the leading NoSQL database software company, with hundreds of production deployments worldwide. Couchbase products, powered by Apache CouchDB, Membase, and Memcached open source software, enable a more cost-effective, scalable and flexible approach to data management than legacy technologies and are particularly well-suited for web and mobile applications. Couchbase delivers the flexible querying, indexing and ease of use that developers love combined with the elastic clustering, robust storage management and consistently high performance relied on by system administrators and operators. Couchbase is a privately held company funded by Accel Partners, Ignition Partners, Mayfield Fund, and North Bridge Venture Partners. www.couchbase.com