Couchbase Releases Flagship NoSQL Database, Couchbase Server 2.0
Company demonstrates new technology today at its San Francisco user conference
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – CouchConf San Francisco – July 29, 2011 – Couchbase, the leading NoSQL database company, today released a developer preview of Couchbase Server 2.0, the company’s high-performance, highly scalable, document-oriented NoSQL database. Couchbase Server 2.0 combines the unmatched elastic data management capabilities of Membase Server with the distributed indexing, querying and mobile synchronization capabilities of Apache CouchDB, the most widely deployed open source document database, to deliver the industry’s most powerful, bullet-proof NoSQL database technology.
Couchbase Server 2.0 integrates the industry’s most trusted and widely deployed open source data management technologies – CouchDB, Membase, and Memcached – to deliver the industry’s most powerful, reliable NoSQL database.
- As the new foundational data storage technology for Couchbase 2.0, CouchDB reliably stores data without the corruption risk inherent in competing approaches. It also provides powerful indexing and distributed query capabilities.
- Membase components contribute powerful cluster management technology, which enables linear scale-out of the data layer from one to 50 to hundreds of nodes as already proven in the world’s largest NoSQL production deployments. It also provides the enterprise-class management, monitoring, and alerting capabilities critical to operationally managing production data tiers.
Memcached, built into Couchbase Server, powers in-memory caching that enables consistently low-latency and high throughput, with sub-millisecond data reads and writes.
Couchbase Server 2.0 is a member of the Couchbase family of interoperable database servers – which also includes Couchbase Single Server and Couchbase Mobile. Unique to Couchbase, “CouchSync” technology allows each of these database systems to synchronize its data with any other. For example, mobile applications built with Couchbase Mobile can automatically synchronize data with a cloud- or datacenter-deployed Couchbase cluster whenever network connectivity is available.
- Couchbase also announced its new Couchbase Certification Program. Recognizing that NoSQL database technology is increasingly being viewed as a core component in the modern web application development stack, Couchbase’s new program is designed to help developers and administrators demonstrate proficiency in the leading NoSQL database technology. The first certification exams for the new program were administered this week in conjunction with CouchConf San Francisco, the company’s developer conference.
Bob Wiederhold, Couchbase CEO: “The demand for NoSQL software continues to rise, and we are thrilled to be at the forefront of this dramatic shift in database technology. Hundreds of customers have deployed Couchbase in production, taking advantage of the ease of use and elastic scalability unique to our solution. Today’s release of Couchbase Server 2.0 provides an even more compelling solution for interactive web and mobile applications, and we’re excited to get it into the hands of our users.”
Curt Monash, President of Monash Research and Editor of DBMS 2: “There are use cases in which CouchDB and now Couchbase clobber competitors with respect to programming ease. And if you want to adopt memcached, Couchbase has become the obvious choice of technology stack.”
Drew Garner, Director of Architecture Services, Concur: “Deploying Couchbase solutions gives us greater scalability and blazing performance (sub-millisecond response times). We now have the ability to simply and fluidly increase capacity, enabling us to seamlessly respond to the needs of the application. Couchbase 2.0 adds indexing and querying to this mix – and we are looking forward to the added flexibility and power the new release provides..”
Shawn Chiao, Tribal Crossing Co-Founder: “What we appreciate most about Couchbase is the company’s commitment to deliver simplicity and elasticity in its database solutions. Our user base has tripled since we first deployed the technology, yet we’ve been able to scale seamlessly and manage our rapidly growing application without the need for a dedicated administrator. Couchbase Server 2.0 gives us even more to love, with robust and tried-and-true CouchDB technology at the core and the ability to view and filter data in ways that deliver even more value to our organization.”
Issac Roth, PaaS Master at Red Hat: “Red Hat’s OpenShift is a Platform-as-a-Service that makes it easier for developers to deploy and auto-scale the frameworks, middleware and data sources of their choice in the cloud. In line with the availability of Couchbase Server 2.0, we are announcing the availability of a Couchbase cartridge in OpenShift. Developers can now gain a flexible and scalable data store to build, run and manage applications at web scale in the cloud.”
- Mark Baker, Product Management, Canonical: “Businesses today are dealing with ever larger unstructured data sets and Ubuntu offers the flexibility to scale to meet changing demands. The combination of Couchbase Server 2.0 and the Ubuntu operating system can bring organizations high availability, excellent performance and scalability, and truly enterprise-class support to handle their data management challenges, whether in the data center or the public cloud.”
- Get Couchbase Server 2.0 developer preview
- Sign up for the Couchbase Server 2.0 Technical Webinar Series
- Visit www.couchbase.com
- Follow @Couchbase on Twitter
Couchbase is the leading NoSQL database software company, with hundreds of production deployments worldwide. Couchbase products, which are built on Apache CouchDB, Membase, and Memcached open source software, represent the most comprehensive family of database solutions for building scalable web and mobile applications. Couchbase delivers the flexible querying, indexing and ease of use that developers love combined with the elastic clustering, robust storage management and consistently high performance relied on by system administrators and operators. Couchbase is a privately held company funded by Accel Partners, Mayfield Fund, North Bridge Venture Partners and Redpoint Ventures. www.couchbase.com